whippet Size

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

whippet Size

Postby MikeHerts » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:04 pm

Just wondering what the experience of other whippet owners is with this question. My whippet seems huge. He stands at 23" and is almost 11 months old. I am hoping that he has finished growing! The breed standard is 20" for a male whippet but he's way over that. He was quite a small puppy but always had big feet - I guess he has grown into his feet. Do other owners have experience of big whippets like this? Or should I worry? I would love to hear from there owners.
MikeHerts
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: whippet Size

Postby PAWhippets » Wed May 01, 2019 12:17 pm

Welcome! I'm guessing you may be in the UK if you mention 20" for a male, as the height standard does vary in different countries - here in the US it is the largest, and a male can be up to 22.5" and still be within standard, although some do exceed that height and go oversize, it does happen. Our current ones are 20", 21.5", and 22". Also, people are not always measuring correctly and therefore may get a higher number than the dog actually is. Did you receive registration papers with your pup, and have you mentioned your concerns to his breeder?

Oh, one other question, is he neutered? Early neutering (before growth plates have closed) can cause a dog to grow taller than he normally would have.

In any case, no need to worry - well, unless he was purchased as a show prospect :)

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby MikeHerts » Wed May 01, 2019 1:52 pm

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful. Yes, we are in UK. He came with full KC papers and his pedigree is traced back to show champions - so he is definitely a whippet. Interestingly you ask about castration. Yes, he was castrated at 6 months because of his extreme sexualised behaviour (unusual I know in a whippet but we took veterinary advice on this). This might account for his size. He looks quite leggy, but is quite a beefy looking dog.
In terms of measuring, I assume the measurement is taken from the whither with the head held horizontally?
MikeHerts
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Thu May 02, 2019 12:09 pm

Aha! So I think early neutering (and 6 months is definitely early) may well be your answer, at least in large part. Apparently one function of the hormones is to act on the growth plates to close at the appropriate time, and in their absence things don't always go quite as they should, so an early neutered animal is often identifiable by the tall, leggy look.

Yes, they are measured at the withers while standing "stacked" squarely with the head in a natural position. It's not as easy as it might seem. If you Google you can probably find some resources such as YouTube videos (this is something that has to be done regularly at racing and lure coursing events, and is sometimes done at shows here, so the procedure is important).

Anyway, I'm sure your pup is lovely (it's not nearly as easy to post photos as it used to be here, but would love to see one if you can) - enjoy him!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Postby MikeHerts » Thu May 02, 2019 3:58 pm

Thanks so much Lois you have been really helpful and enlightening. I wish the veterinary advice had been as informative before he was neutered. I just hope that I haven't adversly affected his growth process or his limbs. He is a dog who never tires alas! I have included a Youtube link which I posted of him recently when I was gardening. He tries to be helpful. As you can see he is a real character! I hope the link works.
Mike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMOp8E5DlqI
MikeHerts
WW Member

Postby MarciaInNM » Sat May 04, 2019 3:27 am

Your garden helper is such a cutie!

I would also guess the early neutering could have affected his height. Could he have some American whippets in his ancestry? That could have added some height, too.
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby PAWhippets » Sat May 04, 2019 11:20 am

The link worked perfectly, he's just adorable and so helpful! Thanks for sharing :D

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Postby Aerosmum » Fri May 10, 2019 3:34 am

I agree with what other have said. He would be fine to put on another pound or two if you're worried. But he looks healthy.

Owners of other breeds really have no idea. I've had heaps of people tell me my whippet is "too skinny", "too boney", "needs to fatten up" etc. But in reality these people have no idea what they're talking about. My vet said my pup is a very healthy weight and that most whippets that come into his practice are overweight and therefore give other owners the wrong impression about what a whippet should look like.
Aerosmum
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board