Getting a puppy - and freaking out

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Getting a puppy - and freaking out

Postby MACB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:04 pm

Hi there

My husband and I have taken the plunge and will pick up our new puppy at 8 weeks at the end of July. I am very excited but also getting really really nervous. There's so many different pieces of advice about how to train them, that they will need to wee from anything between 10 mins and 1 hour per day and that they will cry every time we leave a room.

Any reassuring words that it will be ok? ? I think we want to crate train and also get her used to us being out for short periods. Am I dreaming and will that be too hard? We love dogs so much and really want to make our whippet part of the family but just a bit scared that wont happen.

Thanks!
MACB
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Getting a puppy - and freaking out

Postby Blanco Suzy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:13 pm

You will be fine. There is so much information and advice out there, just do what works for you. crate training, especially for sleeping, is not as hard as it seems. Just make it no fuss no muss and reward in the crate when the pup is tired out...and I recommend barriers (baby gates) because you WILL need a break, as will your other dogs. It is fun and wonderful and frustrating and exhausting.....You will be surprised how quickly the pupppy with pick up on your routine. create a schedule and yall will be OK. Most of all, enjoy your puppy. The happier you are, the happier the puppy. It is worth it.
Blanco Suzy
WW Member

Postby sue_rescue » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:33 am

I completely understand how you feel! After reading so many horror stories here on this forum I cancelled my puppy... twice! Luckily we got her after all and she has been a dream, she crate trained very easily and was completely housetrained and rigging a bell to go out by 4 months. Lucky for us we have a Greyhound who wore her out and taught her bite inhibition. Best advice I can give is make sure to give plenty of exercise, then some more and keep everything consistent, don't make a big deal when you come and go, start leaving her for short periods from day one then extend your time away. Our pup is 10 months old and she's the love of our lives, go for it, you won't regret it! :-)
sue_rescue
WW Member

Postby Greybeard » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:23 am

I'd heard all the horror stories about Whippet puppies, but 18 months ago we ignored them and bought one anyway (Sadie). We'd had Lurchers all our lives and survived, how bad could a Whippet be?

If anything she was worse than we expected - seriously, we thought we'd made a big mistake. Unbelievable energy, and it was mostly expended destructively. Even sitting watching TV was usually impossible, as every so often she'd launch herself at your head, or wall of death around the room. Toilet training was very difficult, I think she got the basic idea but didn't like going outside in the cold, and would resist strongly. 18 months later and she's as lovely a dog as anyone could have: friendly, obedient, playful, loving... And the change seemed to happen almost overnight.

Two weeks ago we bought another Whippet pup, an 8 week old boy we called Dylan. We braced ourselves, and assured each other we would survive, however bad things became. Surprisingly Dylan is completely different. He's full of beans, sure, but aside from a few experimental nibbles on a few things he's not been destructive (yet). Toilet training was a breeze, he got the idea within about 24 hours and within a further 24 hours he was waking me in the night to go outside for toilet. He doesn't bite (much, yet), and enjoys playing with his toys. He's a little angel.

So, I guess it depends entirely on the individual pup. You may get a monster, you may get an angel - and if you get a monster just grit your teeth and stick with it, he/she won't be a monster for ever.

Edit: We don't use crates, we simply don't have the space. When we're out the dogs have the run of the house - most things of value Sadie has already destroyed, so we just risk it. A couple of letters have been chewed, but otherwise no great problems.
Greybeard
WW Member

Postby MACB » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:47 am

Thank you all so much for your replies!!

We are sticking to our plan and go to visit our little pup this weekend. So excited to meet her and getting set to enjoy her whatever her personality turns out to be.

Really appreciate hearing these reassuring comments.
MACB
WW Member

Postby Greybeard » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:27 pm

I'll just update my comment on Dylan being an angel: the little wretch ate my varifocals this morning. :angry-cussing:
Greybeard
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board