Welcome to Whippet World! Introduce yourself!

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Re: Welcome to Whippet World! Introduce yourself!

Postby Fiona » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Image[/URL]

Hello, I am Fiona, and this is Loki. We live in Gloucestershire in the UK. I have wanted a whippet for many years but unfortunately since we always lived above the shop without a garden it wasnt ideal for a dog.. but now we have a house and a decent size garden. Loki is 13 months old and we have had him for just over 3 weeks, his previous owner changed jobs and didnt have the time for him anymore. He is a darling, kind, well behaved etc and also a sneaky counter thief .lol We are currently trying the coke can full of pennies on the counter trick which we hope will work over time.. Loki is an absolute delight although he can be a wimpette.. doesnt like windy,rainy or dull days... so goodness only knows what he will do when its winter time.. lol
Fiona
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby Harleywhip » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:41 pm

Hiya fellow Whippet owners.

I'm Bethany. Orignally from US and now living in Norway with my husband (reason I moved here). I have a 10 yr old cat named Gizmo and a 9 week old puppy named Harley. Harley comes from a large litter of 5 sisters and 4 brothers. Both parents are show champions. We won't be putting her in any shows though.

Here is a pic of lovely pup Harley :D This was taken a few mins. after we got home. She was tired from the 3 hour car ride (where the breeder was located) and she just passed out on the sofa.

Harleywhip
WW Member

Postby roxieyap » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:34 am

Hello Everyone!
I am new to this forum but I am not new to living with dogs. We've had them since I was small. I think they are great company and they make a household more fun and exciting. My mom is now retired and she spends most of her time in the farm. I am planning to get her a whippet to keep her company. I am not sure if they will be a match that is why I want to know more about them. Hope to get more insights about them in this forum :)
roxieyap
WW Member

Postby Sarahofsydney » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:47 am

Hi,

I'm Sarah. I live in Sydney, Australia.

I've always been a dog person and lived with dogs. Since moving into an apartment a year ago with my boyfriend I have been dogless - the longest I have ever been dogless!

I have a border collie Chess who lives on a property in rural NSW with my Dad and his rough collie Lou. (I will try and find a link to some photos)

After some serious conversation my boyfriend and I agreed we could have a dog. And set about the decision process of choosing a breed suitable to our apartment and lifestyle. I'm doing post-graduate research in Medical Anthropology and work from home 4+ days a week, and he works mostly afternoons and early evenings as a Barber while pursuing his painting and photography in his down time. We have a lot of amazing local parks, dog-friendly cafes, and even a local dog beach, as well as lots of dog loving friends!

We met some people (who instantly became friends) who had whippets... I was in love <3

After doing some research, it seems like a really good fit. We are waiting for pup from a litter which is due in about a week, so would be bringing a new pup home at the end of October. I'm off uni from the first week of November so will be home 5+ days a week which will be amazing to watch the pup grow up over the summer!

I am joining to forums here so I can ask silly questions as I am sure whippets and whippet puppy craziness is different to the Cattle dog, Sheltie and Border Collie experiences I have had. And so I have somewhere to obsessively show off photos of my puppy without driving my family, work and uni colleagues insane :p
Sarahofsydney
WW Member

Postby artistiklove » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:07 am

Hi, I'm Becky. A few days ago, I adopted (what I believe to be) a whippet mix. I was thinking she was whippet / border collie....but have also discovered she has quite a loud "houndish" bark and biggish ears for her head size. Anyway, I figured I'd join forums for the different breeds that she might be, so my family and I have a better idea of how to be her buddies. What do you guys think? Oh yeah, she's 28 pounds, but I think she should gain a couple more - her hips are still a little to pointy.
Attachments
PSX_20150817_232026-640x639.jpg
PSX_20150817_231011-640x360.jpg
PSX_20150817_230803-240x384.jpg
20150814_173738-01-640x360.jpeg
20150817_114153-480x854_20150817235250574-240x427.jpg
Zelda and my son, Ben
artistiklove
WW Member

Postby Littleroo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:43 pm

Hi, my names Sharon and I'm a new whippet mum :dance: my beautiful girl BAMBI joins our westie PADDY and our little mix breed PEACHES......
Littleroo
WW Member

Postby Sarahofsydney » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:22 am

artistiklove wrote:Hi, I'm Becky. A few days ago, I adopted (what I believe to be) a whippet mix. I was thinking she was whippet / border collie....but have also discovered she has quite a loud "houndish" bark and biggish ears for her head size. Anyway, I figured I'd join forums for the different breeds that she might be, so my family and I have a better idea of how to be her buddies. What do you guys think? Oh yeah, she's 28 pounds, but I think she should gain a couple more - her hips are still a little to pointy.

Hi Becky,

Just thought Id say she is gorgeous. Hope you are all doing well.

Sarah
Sarahofsydney
WW Member

Postby Cookymonster » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi Whippet lovers!
Bought my first whippet pup with my OH 3 weeks ago! We are loving him so far! Such a good boy- I'm looking forward to learning more here. Our boy is called Cooky (after Alastair Cook the England cricket captain) and he's a light fawn!

Will post pictures soon
Cookymonster
WW Member

Postby cassiekate » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:52 am

Hi all,

My name is Kate and my fiance and I are getting our very own whippet puppy at the end of October! I can't wait, so I thought I'd join up here to connect with other whippet lovers!
Thanks!

Kate
cassiekate
WW Member

Postby Daisyizzybella » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:01 am

Hi,
I'm Daisy, my partner and I will be picking up our new whippy baby called Monty at the end of September.
We have two very spoilt house cats who are going to be horrified (to start with at least).
I'm probably going to be a bit of a helicopter, this is our first dog together and I want it all to go well!!!
Hoping to pick up some tips as I would like to try showing, even if it's just for fun, to get him out and about and enjoying himself.
Daisyizzybella
WW Member

Postby Diggertdog » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:49 pm

Hello. My name is Paul and my wife Jess and I have a 5 1/2 year old whippet named Digger. He doesn't dig. I'm hoping to learn more by reading your posts, though he is not a courser or show dog, just a great member of the family.
Diggertdog
WW Member

Postby greymom » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:26 pm

Hello, my name is Brenda :greetings-waveyellow: I live in in the PNW, owned by 2 Greyhounds. We just adopted a senior female Whippet (who we named Grace) from the Humane Society, she was found as a stray and was in need of a home. Thanks for having us :dance:
greymom
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:39 pm

Welcome new folks, please post more and also share some photos!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby dah1527 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:23 pm

Hello. My name is Dawn and I have recently acquired my first whippet - a shiny, black 4 year old called Jack. He was finding life in a busy family quite stressful so his previous owners put him up for adoption, feeling that he might be happier in a quieter environment. This seems to have been absolutely the right decision for him, and he is now exploring the Cheshire countryside, the beaches of the Wirral and North Wales, and making lots of new friends. My 92 year old father finds him a quiet and obliging companion in the house, and I'm very much looking forward to the time when I might be able to introduce another whippet to the household! Yes, I've very much fallen in love with the breed!

These days, I've swapped the world of the classroom for a lovely part time job in our community shop - so loads of time for dog-walking! (I'll post a pic of Jack when I've worked out how to get one to the right size!)
dah1527
WW Member

Postby LittleJack » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi everyone
Well were new to the world of Whippets (we do have a lovely lab too) and are looking for some advise on nighttime routines.
He's 8 weeks old and is so lovely but he is finding nights quite hard at the moment. I know it's early days at the moment but I can't remember our lab crying as much as Jack does. Has anyone got any good tips!!!
LittleJack
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:28 am

Hi, LittleJack. I'd advise you start a new topic to ask about this, as you will get a better response. Also, if you search and look at some recent postings, you will find this is a very common part of life with a new puppy. This too shall pass :)

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby Britts » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:01 am

Hi All,
I'm from NSW Australia, and have a Brittany X Whippet bitch, (Pepper) and have just rescued a pure whippet male,(Wal) we also have a Basenji, (Gracie) Pepper gets used for hunting mainly hares, rabbits and Pigs. she is 15 months old. Wal i picked up on the weekend whilst looking for a whippet to put over Pepper on her next heat, great temperament but in need of some serious TLC, which he is responding well to. I will post photos of Wal when he is in better condition.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8x6qhu8e50af ... x5k6a?dl=0
Britts
WW Member

Postby Mitzi » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:28 am

I have a question to ask about whippets. I am thinking about getting a whippet but have several parrots in my home. My parrots on loose on playstands during the day. The whippet would never be left unattended with the parrots. The parrots are caged at night.
Mitzi
WW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whippet World Message Board