Welcome to Whippet World! Introduce yourself!

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Re: Welcome to Whippet World! Introduce yourself!

Postby jenniferstewart » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:00 am

We have had our whippet, Ellie, since last November and she is currently 10 months old. She has completely changed my life, as she is my first "baby"! We love her very much and feel so lucky she entered our lives.

I used this board frequently when I was trying to get through the puppy months... whippets can be a challenge, as they are very special, but their sweet little personalities make it all worthwhile. I feel as if she is starting to grow up too fast now! My how time flies.

Some things about Ellie: This is the sweetest dog I have ever had. She is a huge cuddler and loves to put her little head right beneath my chin. She is very perceptive to our emotions and openly comforts us when we are down. She hasn't ever met a dog or person she didn't love, as she is very social. We take her to the dog park about every other day. She loves to entice the large breeds into chasing her, then leave them in the dust with her quick turns. She's definitely a little showy and loves all the attention to be on her... did I mention she's an only child? Ellie loves to eat EVERYTHING, so we have to be careful. We always have to have an eye on her when she is in the yard, usually grazing on our grass or hunting flying insects. She did suffer some separation anxiety at first. We purchased a small thundershirt when she was a pup, and it worked wonders. She is no longer anxious and is fine alone during the day. We learned that every whippet has their own preferences, though we love seeing the "typical" whippet behaviors shine through :)

We can't wait to get another! In the meantime, we are enjoying our little furbaby and our life as a family!

I don't have a better way to share pictures at the moment... sorry they are so small

IMG_7703.JPG
Photo from our breeder before we picked her up. She was bred by Silhouette Whippets in Longview, TX.

IMG_8204 (1).JPG
4 months old

FullSizeRender (2).jpg
After her first full day of doggy day care at 10 months. She was exhausted!
jenniferstewart
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby Tx3 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:01 am

Jennifer, Ellie is a gorgeous girl! I'm Rae and also from Texas. I've been reading all the threads on WW to get a better idea of the breed. After much consideration we believe a whippet is the right fit for us. We are a family of three now in search of the right whippet for our family. I look forward to getting advice on each stage.
Tx3
WW Member

Postby vauxandjames » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:36 pm

Eve from Wales with our little brindle beaut, Fly
vauxandjames
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 180086

Postby solosmom » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:33 pm

We've just added Enzo - a one year old brindle boy - to our family. He's been with us for a month now and seems to be slowly settling in and getting used to our routines. He is a sweet, loving, playful and affectionate boy who loves his 'sister' Indy, our two year old. Indy is thrilled with her new 'brother' and they stay close to each other most of the time and share a giant soft crate at night. Everything is going quite well except for a couple of issues. I know that it is early days but would love some advice. I've never had two dogs at the same time so am sure I could be handling things better.

They're on the same schedule - sleeping, feeding, walks - except that Indy will potty all at once - pee/poop first thing in the morning - whereas Enzo has a two-part potty - first pee/poop and then 10 minutes later, another poop. By the time of the second poop, we are back indoors and unless he is right by my side (which he usually is) or gives me a baleful stare from the top of the stairs leading to the garden, he will have wandered off to another room where he has his 'accident'. I've had to put the puppy gates back up! I give him plenty of time to take care of business in the morning and even have to stand outdoors with him no matter the weather or time of day (4 am emergency potty breaks sometimes), otherwise he will not 'go'. Frustrating.

Also, he came from a show home where he was much loved and I am so grateful for his first family that taught him excellent leash manners. He stands stock still in the tub for baths and teeth cleaning, has great recall and is friendly and outgoing outdoors. Indoors, he paces and it takes a lot of coaxing for him to settle down. Even when exhausted from beach play, he seems to sleep with one eye 'open' watching my every move.

The car is a real problem. He drools - a LOT! I've tried one OTC 'Quiet Moments' which did nothing. The vet gave us Cerenia - again, no effect. I''ve got a homeopathic remedy from HomeoPet for Travel Anxiety which I have not yet tried. All of his car trips to date (except one of one hour - Cerenia) have been 10-15 minutes to get to the beach/park. So, all of the rides lead to 'fun'. For his vet visits - 1 year check up and then shots - I walked him the 10 minutes' distance. The irony is that Indy is deathly afraid of the vet and won't cross the main street to get to the vet so I have to DRIVE her! Any suggestions for the car anxiety? Will a thundershirt help in the house to calm his pacing?

I haven't figured out how to post pictures here but you can view their pix on instagram #indyenzowhippets. Indy is the white/brindle.

Thanks for reading this far!
solosmom
WW Member

Meet and Greet in Seattle

Postby lrizzo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:24 pm

Hi~
I am a new member who lives in Seattle and would love to establish a meet and greet with other Whippets in the area. My dog, Wyn, is 9 years old and loves to play with other Whippets. I open for play locations and would be happy to organize the get together. Please let me know if you interested and I can schedule the party!!
lrizzo
WW Member

Postby sbrealey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:23 am

:naughty:
10351756_10203901783888198_5865446188635958122_n.jpg
Hi, my name is Sue and I am from South Australia. I had a beautiful white/brindle whippet named Scooter who we had for 14 years. He was the most amazing, gentle and loving dog and when he was no longer with us, we just knew we had to add another beautiful whippet to join our family. We welcomed Ziggy from a breeder in Gawler, South Australia and he has certainly been a challenge. He is very feisty, extremely sooky and certainly has attitude. This is Ziggy at 5 months old sitting next to a dog sculpture at Xmas 2014. He would walk up to this metal dog and just push it over and walk away. As I said, he is a challenge but we adore him and now 2 years of age, he is just as challenging. Hoping he will start to settle down soon
sbrealey
WW Member

Postby willow » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:02 am

Hi everyone.
I am on here as I have just added to my family as purebred whippet. I'm calling her Willow, and she is currently. 5 days old. :D I think she is very cute, and. Can't wait to get my paws on her lol. I am on here for tips and advice on raising her.

Anyone out there have any ideas or pics of older dogs with the same colouring? Was told that she is blue/fawn and white.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Cuteness
willow
WW Member

Postby Piaggio15 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi
My name is Gill and I am a new owner of a 9 week old bitch puppy named Kiki. I also have a 5 year old Whippet cross Gordon Setter called Mungo who looks like a Whippet with the colouring of a setter. Mungo is in a large crate at night and we have put the puppy in a small pen near him with her bed at one end and papers down at the other, which works well until daybreak at 5, when she starts to creat havoc. We had hoped she would be happy to stay there until 7 as is Mungo, weeing etc on the paper, but No. - so don't know whether to ignore her until 7 and perhaps bang on the door or ?
Any thoughts much appreciated
Piaggio15
WW Member

Postby WhipperSnipper » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:38 am

Hi All,

My name is Alison and my husband and I are now the guardians of a beautiful 17 week old female whippet. We have always had dogs in our lives, but are first time whippet parents. Our last dog was a male Weimaraner (as were the two prior to Beau) he was very large for his breed and this time we decided that a lighter weight dog was in order. After much research we fell in love with whippets.

We decided that a male, solid colour was what we were after, so off to the breeder! So when this adorable brindle and white female ran over to us and immediately sat on my husband's shoes and then mine, the decision was made for us!

So meet Snipper
snip.jpg

We have just finished puppy class, and will start obedience (because she really needs it) when her car sickness has settled down. I'm hoping that a bit more maturity will sort it out.

Glad to be here and I'm sure we will benefit from all the info on the forum.

Snippers mum.
WhipperSnipper
WW Member

Postby Tezz » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:33 am

Hi I have just been through this stage. 3am and 5am was the time for me. A quick trip out for toilet no playing back to bed seemed to work. They can't go all night at 9wks and don't like soiling where they sleep. I have to wake him at 7 now. My Flynn is 28 weeks old now.Started going through the whole night at about 14/16 weeks. Hope that helps.
Tezz
WW Member

Postby LuLu » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:25 am

Ahoy there! New mommy to Phelan, a 13-week old Whippet. He's the handsomest, cleverist, snuggliest puppy in the world. And I'm only a little biased. In all sincerity though, after many years of raising very challenging (but worthwhile) breeds, Phelan is a wonderful pup.

I look forward to being a part of this great community. I'll start a thread to tell of Phelan's adventures as we have them, with lots of pics. I'll leave this one here to tide everyone over until then:

LuLu
WW Member

Postby MarciaInNM » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:08 am

Welcome to the board!

Phelan is such a handsome little guy, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about him.
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby PAWhippets » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:47 pm

Welcome, new folks! Cute puppies :romance-inlove:

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby LindaS80 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi,

I`m Linda from the Netherlands. We currently have 3 Whippets : 2 boys ( 1 import from Ireland ) and 1 girl

Strippoker`s Quest For The Past - Karl -
Gwendariff Bang Tidy - Angus -
Strippoker`s Poëtic Justice - Zoë -
LindaS80
WW Member

Postby Wallywhippet » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:04 am

Hi

We have a 14 month old whippet called Wally! He's doing great and is a wonderful addition to the family!

We live in Norfolk and I there are any meet ups with other whippets we'd love to join you!

Sarah and Ben
Wallywhippet
WW Member

Postby Woolly » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:38 am

Greetings,
Our names are Roger and Anne and we have had several Whippets over the years, especially ones before we had kids. Now that our children are grown and out of the house we have decided to get another whippet. He is coming some time in January. We are so excited to have a whippet in our lives again. I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions due to we have forgotten a lot and need to be retrained ourselves LOL Will appreciate all the help to get this little guy up and running.
Woolly
WW Member

Postby cherie1376 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi, I'm Cherie my dog's name is lucky she is a rescue and I'm trying to learn more about her two breeds one of which is a whippet.
Attachments
14068317_1860012800886538_8931357741633892695_n.jpg
this is her the day i adopted her
cherie1376
WW Member

Postby SteveP » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:05 am

Hi I'm Steve

New to the world of whippets just got a 10 week old blue white boy called Jasper
already a heartbreaker never had a dog with such a great nature mixed with excitement joy and a little bit of mischief cant wait until injections have finished and we can
go out to explore
SteveP
WW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whippet World Message Board