Welcome to Whippet World! Introduce yourself!

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Re: Welcome to Whippet World! Introduce yourself!

Postby Murder She Goat » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:58 am

:banana-dance: Hi! I'm new to the forum and to owning whippets. I've had my babies since July - a brother and sister - and they have captured my heart and are super spoiled! Hope to learn a few things here :) :banana-dance:
Want to keep 'Goat' in 'Arkansas Goat Fest'? Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, forgive the guilty, welcome the unwanted, care for the ill, love your enemies, and do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Murder She Goat
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby youngian » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:58 pm

I'm Ian and I live in Cambridgeshire and have my first dog since a child. After much research as to what kind of dog to purchase my attention was drawn to whippets and I am now huge fan and the proud owner of Hector. He is four months old and is taking it easy this week after bruising his hind leg trying to climb on a table. A week of R&R for Hector the silly sausage

youngian
WW Member

Postby cq82 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:16 pm

Hey - this is Patch, a 6-month old fawn that is incredibly loving and mischievous in equal measure! He is well-adjusted - for the most part - and loves good cuddle as well as a run around the park trying to entice other dogs to play chase (think he's worked out he can out-sprint most of them :D )

cq82
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Welcome, new peeps! Look forward to seeing more about you and your Whippets :D

Lois, Charlie, Weaver, Tickle and Ion
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby cq82 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:31 pm

PAWhippets wrote:Welcome, new peeps! Look forward to seeing more about you and your Whippets :D

Lois, Charlie, Weaver, Tickle and Ion

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be checking in for lots of advice :)
cq82
WW Member

Postby aastuewe » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi my name is Ashley and my whippet is a terrier mix named Zola who is 8 months old about to be 9. She is very sweet and energetic girl. She is quite skittish and prefers women over men. IMG_0394.JPG

I was wondering how whippets tend to do in a dog park I take my bf Irish terrier all the time and would like to take her as well.

Thanks!
aastuewe
WW Member

Postby davepd » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:37 am

Hi! This is my pup Pilot, who is almost 12 weeks old now.

pilot_small.jpg
davepd
WW Member

Postby stf » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Hello everyone. My wife Lori and I live in the suburbs of Georgia USA and recently were blessed to have Bunny join our family.
Bunny_Puppy.jpg
Bunny as a puppy / Can you guess how the breeder came up with her name?

We had a Greyhound-Golden Retriever mix named Jasmine (aka Jazzy) that had the greatest disposition that we lost to cancer late last year. I had been researching Whippets since around the time Jazzy was diagnosed because gazehounds are spectacular animals in so many respects. This girl at 8 months now is well socialized and loves to be held.

She retrieves frisbees as well as our lab retrieves branches thrown in the water... She's got my kids under her paw.
I thought she was a particularly quiet girl until she spotted deer early this morning in our front yard. She's got a voice!
We are looking to learn from others posting here and shall be loving up this wonderful animal for many years to come. Sam :animals-bunny:
Attachments
BunnyInCar.jpg
Bunny taking a ride in the car
stf
WW Member

Postby MarciaInNM » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Bunny is a real cutie!
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby Charlie91 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:30 am

Hi
This is Charlie, Whippet who lives in Yorkshire
Just loves being around everyone and everything. Very fast on his feet. Loves other dogs to chase him....shame nearly all we've met cant keep up lol

Charlie 1 - Copy.JPG
Charlie91
WW Member

Postby Love1y1ight » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:42 pm

Hello
I’ll start with a big ‘thank you’ as I’ve picked up lots o really useful information and tips reading existing posts - what a friendly lot you are!
I am a first time whippet owner, but have had dogs for many years. My lovely whippet is 10 week old brindle dog, ‘Mouse’. He has come live with my husband and myself and our elderly retired racing greyhound, Hope. Mouse looks tiny next to Hope!
Mouse has been with us 10 days and so far so good. We just changed to getting up once in the nightvrsther than the initial twice and he’s still dry in his crate. We’ve been working hard to help him keep his crate dry and so far it’s been fine. We whisk him out to the garden regularly during the day and evening and reward his efforts with praise and tiny tiny pieces of ham. At night he has a heartbeat toy that he cuddles up to - it’s just the most lovely sight! He naps in his crate during the day as he needs to otherwise we are in the garden, the pup-proofed room or the kitchen where I’ve set up an outdoor pen at the open kitchen door so Mouse can choose where he wants to be.
So at he’s not been left alone (not sure if nipping for a shower during his morning nap counts!!??) so I’d appreciate some advice on how to introduce this - he’ll need to be left for 4 hours 4 days a week but not always the same 4 hours. Tempting as it is to have him fall asleep on my lap I do pop him in his crate with a King when he seems tired so he learns to settle him self - again, so far so good.
I’ll try to add a photo of the delightful Mouse.
Love1y1ight
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:57 pm

Hello everyone,
I must be one of you. I found this list surfing for everything to do with whippets. I lost my 13 year old recently. Because of separation illness I now have a new 3 month old whippet. This is number 6 over 38 years with them. I watched the rescue list but nothing close by. I hit the sites of breeders in my area and a reply said get the best try Carol Harris at Bo-Bett Farm. We were lucky to adopt a male with partial blue eye. We have a beautiful dog.

I have been reading posts on topics on training and puppies. Found a lot of good info so I joined today. Also found so many things we can relate to about those dogs. They all use the same tricks to get their way. Well I made my wife Pam take me and my whippet 36 years ago. Now had to have another.

Lenny and Pam
We have Minka a 13yr old greyhound.
Born 3/8/18 is Gibson
Attachments
IMG_0491.jpg
IMG_0379.jpg
IMG_0521.jpg
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby Judya0805 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi Everyone, I have 2 Whippets. A 9 yr old and a 2 yr old. My 9 yr old came to us at 6 months old. A college student had gotten him and realized she didn’t have the time for him. She had him crated while going to school and working a full time job. She knew we had 2 German Shepherds at the time and a big yard. And I was a stay at home mom. We never hesitated taking him in, but only if the Shepherds would be ok with him. We had a mother and son. Heidi the female shepherd treated our new addition like a puppy of her own. King our big male had a playmate. So Tank our Whippet grew up thinking he was a german Shepherd. Last June we lost Heidi to Kidney disease, and this past May we lost King to hip dysplasia. I was devastated beyond belief, and so was Tank. Tank grieved to the point he wouldn’t open his eyes, he stayed curled up and stopped eating. The vet said it could last for months. He started losing weight and I could see in his face he was aging. I had to do something for him but for myself I wasn’t ready to get another dog. It had gotten to the point Tank needed something to pick him up again. So we found a 2 yr old Whippet. He wouldn’t lure the track so he was put in a rescue. He was with a vet for 2 months. We picked him up and introduced him to a house, a bed, new sounds and BEST of all another beautiful yet grieving soul. We are happy to say after a month of taking in our 2 yr old, Peyton, Tank is himself again. He’s running, playing, eating and his eyes are wide open again. Tank is teaching Peyton to potty outside, how to eat slowly without gobbling his food. Now we are introducing Peyton to other breeds, which is not coming easy. He watches Tank play with big dogs and small dogs of all breeds so I’m hoping Peyton will eventually come around. He loves other Whippets and recognizes them just not too keen on the other breeds. I still miss my Shepherds so much and always will but I have Tank and Peyton who definitely keep my mind busy and my days full. These 2 boys are a joy to have.
Judya0805
WW Member

Postby MacSuibhne » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:44 pm

hi my name is Brian > i have a 20 month old female whippet called Rudie. I have joined the forum because I'm concerned she is overweight. i see a lot of whippets thinner than her. I will try and post some pictures of her and would appreciate some feedback . Thanks
Attachments
IMG_1905.jpg
IMG_1904.jpg
MacSuibhne
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:18 pm

MacSuibhne wrote:hi my name is Brian > i have a 20 month old female whippet called Rudie. I have joined the forum because I'm concerned she is overweight. i see a lot of whippets thinner than her. I will try and post some pictures of her and would appreciate some feedback . Thanks

Hi Brian and welcome to Whippet World. What a pretty girl.

You'll probably get better feedback if you post this on a new thread as not everyone pops into this one.

It's hard to say from the photos. I like to 'just' see a little hip bone, and a hint of the last rib or two. Based on what I can see she is probably carrying a smidge too much for me, but I wouldn't say she's particularly overweight. A photo directly from the top, and from directly side on would help for more accurate feedback. But if she is, she's not by much, so just cutting her food back a little (and maybe increasing her exercise a bit) would be all you'd need.

Overall I wouldn't worry too much.

Wendy
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby MacSuibhne » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks Wendy for reply and advice
MacSuibhne
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:53 am

Welcome, Brian! Rudie is a lovely girl. I second what Wendy said about the photos being a little difficult to evaluate, but agree that she probably is not terribly overweight if at all, and it shouldn't be too hard to take a little bit off if needed.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby simone » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:19 am

Hello, :teasing-neener: I am simone.
I love dogs and other animals like cats,rabbits,squirrels and hamsters so much.
Since I am a student with plenty of tasks to finish,I don't have enough time to keep one.
However,after moving to a new block,I found a homeless dog and don't know how to get along with them.(such as provide it some food,make friend with it)
To learn something from you is the reason why I am here.
Thank you.
simone
WW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whippet World Message Board