Welcome to Whippet World! Introduce yourself!

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Re: Welcome to Whippet World! Introduce yourself!

Postby Ife » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:11 am

Hi everyone, I found this site in my quest for more information about whippets. My family is planning on adding a puppy to our ranks in a few months - the puppies are due beginning of October and we’ll be taking him or her home sometime in December. I’m so excited! I’ve owned dogs before but never a whippet, though I’ve always liked them. After our last dog passed away 6 years ago we took a break for a while and had a few human babies, but they’re older now, and now that potty training is behind us I started feeling that familiar “need a dog” itch. I sat on it for a while and spent some time trying to figure out what kind of dog would fit best with our family, and I think a whippet will be a perfect addition for us.

Anyhow, I figured I would dive in and post now. I’m sure I’ll need some help troubleshooting something puppy related later and I wanted to be sure I had a place to go ask. This looks like the place!
Ife
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby sue_rescue » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi my name is Sue, my hubby and I live on a small farm in San Diego, CA with 2 rescued Greyhounds, a kitty, 3 mini horses, a Llama. goats and chickens and are days away from getting our first Whippet puppy...I am both excited and scared to death! I've purchased a crate. puppy pen, tons of toys and chewies and praying she turns out to be manageable but I have dreadful moments like this morning that I feel I may be making a huge mistake and that our world is about to get turned upside down! I have raised many puppies over the years but have read countless horror stories about Whippet puppies and would love some words of encouragement!
Attachments
Chloe pic.JPG
sue_rescue
WW Member

Postby OregonLuca » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi Sue and Welcome to all Newbies!
I am by no means a whippet expert, but I have two now--ages 5 and 1 1/2 yo. Whippets are wonderful dogs and yes, they can be a handful. I have never raised other puppies, but I grew up with Siberian huskies. They were a handful too. Puppies in general are a handful, but if you prepare as you have done and don't put them in situations of opportunity to do damage, you will be fine. Like any puppy, they will chew stuff that is available to them. The main differences for me with whippets is that they are fast, rather delicate around other dogs, and I don't trust them off lead (as most folks on WW will tell you). On the other hand, they are sweet, loving, independent beautiful dogs, and yes, I get to buy lots of coats and things for them. If you have raised other puppies, I'm sure you will do just fine. Just set boundaries and be persistent!
Hope this helps! The pup is gorgeous!
P.S. The information on WhippetWorld is sooooo helpful with surviving puppyhood. Just keep checking in here.
Heather & Luca & Juno
OregonLuca
WW Member

Postby sue_rescue » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:55 pm

Thanks for your reassuring word Heather, it's been 10 years since I've raised a puppy but I am prepared as I'm going to be, I'll keep you posted!
sue_rescue
WW Member

Postby sue_rescue » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:29 am

We are 3 weeks in and so far, so good! Our new pup Willow has been a dream, took right to her crate and is doing great with her housebreaking, our Greyhounds love her and sop do we!
sue_rescue
WW Member

Postby Cannonball_halpin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:04 am

Cannon the whippet is a finalist for the Face of the Race 5k in Georgia. Please consider voting for him here--> https://poll.app.do/run-with-the-dogs-5k-face-of-the-race-2019/yhM6HwUe
Attachments
Untitled.png
Cannonball_halpin
WW Member

Postby onthedarkside » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi!
I'm a new member as of today and looking forward to learning more as in the new few months I'll be getting a little whippet puppy!
I live with my husband and 2 children (6 and 3) and my elderly father in law, as well as the mental, but lovely, Westie, Nip!
Currently waiting for my whippet puppy...
onthedarkside
WW Member

Postby Gocaita » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi. I'm Gaspar from New York.
I have one Black Lab (Timon) and one Bengal (Sheena)
Gocaita
WW Member

Postby Analiendi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:28 am

Hi comunnity, I'm new here.
I live in Clifton and my name is Dereck..
I already have one chau....but I want to buy whippet so i hope I find here useful information.
Analiendi
WW Member

Postby Bilbot79 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:11 pm

Hi Folks. Bilbot here from....

Ireland!

Trying to convince wife to get us a whippet. Main concerns are leaving it at home all day a year from now when she goes back to work and the fact she is allergic to 'some' dogs.

I feel confident in a whippets ability to cope alone all day and since I run everyday hell always get enough exercise once im home. I guess regular brushing/bathing might help with allergies.

Bilbot
Bilbot79
WW Member

Postby Kempie26 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:03 am

Hi everyone We've got 2 pups Friday evening, Willow and Luna, both girls from the same litter. They're settling in well I think we're going to have our hands full.

P
Kempie26
WW Member

Postby Blisstw » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:52 pm

Hi all! Shawn Westbrook from Iowa here. Currently have 2 whippets
Aria (Arcus & Nysa Hill Butterfly Effect), show (and pet)
Stella (Shamasan Starry Night), pet
Attachments
1127D0C2-0ABD-4750-83EA-8442120C5F44.jpeg
Aria
9CCF396C-A3B1-493A-9972-86EF7854DC10.jpeg
Stella
Blisstw
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 45

Previous

Return to Whippet World Message Board