Welcome to Whippet World! Introduce yourself!

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Re: Welcome to the New Whippet World! Introduce yourself!

Postby hazeltacymom » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi, I'm Christina and I was hazelsparents_807 on the old board. I live in South Carolina with my husband, Tim, and our two whippets, Hazel and Tacy. We've recently started lure coursing and hope to continue in the upcoming year.

Hazel is the red and white - she is Queen of the Sofa around here, she enjoys patrolling for squirrels, playing frisbee, and sleeping
Tacy is the brindle and white - she is Miss Naughty Pants, she enjoys playing fetch, killing stuffies, and has me completely trained
Attachments
IMG_9116.jpg
hazeltacymom
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby KalliGirl » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi, i'm Wendy and I was WDHampton on the old board. Kalli (short for Kalliope) is my one and only whippet and pet. I grew up a cat person, but after making my husband suffer for nine years with allergies and living with a cat, when my feline Sasha passed away in 2003, I decided our next pet would not make him so miserable.

I have two human kids, ages 8 and 5, who keep me hopping and I am a stay-at-home mom who telecommutes from home a few hours each evening as an editor. Kalli is from the Roux Crew of 12 and just turned 2 in November. She fits into our family so perfectly! I have put a lot of training on her including Puppy K, Basic, CGC and three agility classes. Kalli loves to please us and is extremely obedient for a whippet. She loves people and other dogs, lives for fetching the ball and will even take a swim. She's wonderful with the kids and I simply could not have dreamed up a more perfect family dog.

We have tried lure coursing and attempted our AFSA certification this past summer. She did not certify, but then in her practice run afterward, did beautifully. I just don't have the time needed to train and travel with her, but we'll give it another try in the spring when the events come close to us.

I hope to do therapy work with her eventually as she would make a wonderful therapy dog. We'll also most likely pick up agility again or perhaps obedience. I hope to one day add a companion whippet to our family for my sweet Kalli.
Wendy H.
KalliGirl
WW Member

Postby LeahWhipArt » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:14 am

Hi, I'm Leah (my ID was EvandLeah on the old board), and I live in IL with my husband, Evan. We have 2 Whippets, Hugo (who's 4 years old), and Selena (who just turned 8 months old). I also have 3 kitties (Max and Pandora, both 13 yrs., and Gryphon, an 8 year old Persian) that I love dearly, but they stayed with my mom when I moved out for their own comfort and safety.

Let's see, a little more about me...I'm very lucky to have met my husband as he is so much like me; we enjoy spending as much time as possible with each other and with our families, but it can be difficult because he has such a busy work schedule. I was introduced to Whippets through him and his family (Sally, of Longrun Whippets, is my mother-in-law). In my free time, I enjoy sketching and doing other 'artsy' stuff. :) I also like to collect various objects, like vintage (mostly 80s) toys, video games and related items, art books, and Whippet art (the last 3 are collections that I share with the hubby). I'm a quiet person and tend to prefer to just hang back and listen to conversations, as opposed to actually taking part in them.

Hugo (Longrun's Falter Not) is a pretty laid-back boy, and sleeping seems to be his favorite past-time. He's a pretty trustworthy Whippet, and rarely gets into any trouble on his own (before we had Selena, I could leave a plate unattended, and it would still be there when I got back :)). Hugo does straight and oval racing, which he loves, when there are local race meets, and he shows whenever we are able to make it to anything that has an altered class (which has been a total of twice, the 2006 Fun Match at the Racing National, and the 2007 AWC National in Kansas City...he did well both times, which pleased me greatly :)).

Hugo doing what he does best:

Handsome Hugo:

Now Selena (Longrun's Belle Notte) is quite the opposite of my Hugo-boy...she has a lot of energy, and thinks she needs constant attention, just like most any puppy. Oh, don't get me wrong, I love dearly and for her age, she isn't that bad, but she's an intelligent girl, so she can be very mischievous and manages to find ways to get into trouble. She *loves* playing with toys...pretty much anything. She has a Tricky Treat Ball, and a Kong, and a Tug-a-Jug...I like giving her toys like that in particular, where she actually has to work a little to get a treat...she is incredibly food motivated, so rarely gives up until each and every piece is cleaned out (which is great because it keeps her attention for around 10 or 15 minutes ;)). Lena-beans is a very pretty girl in my opinion; she looks black and white, but she has places where there's reddish fur too, which is especially obvious out in the sun...she *might* be a true black brindle, but I'm definitely no expert, and it's difficult to photo in order to get other people's opinions. Lena's also very cute, which is a good thing for her on the occasions when she gets into trouble. :)

Snapshot of Selena as a young pup with *some* of her toys:

A more recent photo of pretty Lena:

Posing in her Decotogs pullover:

Finally, one more with Hugo and Lena in their Snugglies...Lena didn't think she could move her back legs with the Snugglie on, so she's kind half on, half off, the bed :):

Apologies for the long intro post and all the photos...it's been awhile since I've posted on the old board, and I was eager to try posting photos here. :)

This new board looks really great...I look forward to becoming more familiar with it.

--Leah
LeahWhipArt
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:59 pm

LeahWhipArt wrote: I enjoy sketching and doing other 'artsy' stuff.

I just have to put a plug in for Leah here. She does more than 'just sketching and 'artsy' stuff'. Look at this portrait she did of Teya and 2wk old Bruiser (now Tug)

Leah, glad to see you here!

Wendy
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby chauntz » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:49 pm

My name is Damon, but my username is 'chauntz' here on the board.
I'm a musician, single, and live in Houston, Texas with my two whippets. Spooky, my female, is 8. Louie, my boy, is 1 1/2.

The princess:

Lou:

chauntz
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:31 am

Hello, I'm Lois - I was PAWhippets on the old board and I'm still in PA with Whippets so that's my screen name here too :) I am delighted to be owned by Kira, who's now 15 1/2, Charlie, who's 3, and Weaver, who's 2 (will add pictures when I have more time to look through them). We course, race, do Rally and Obedience, show a little, and maybe we'll do some more Pet Therapy in the future - my first Whippet, my beloved and much-missed Tigger, was a working Therapy Dog.

This board format looks great and seems very user-friendly. Thanks so much to all the managers for making it happen!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby Dolly » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:57 pm

Hi Im Helen Wayman, i own and show The Scarletfair whippets in the UK, and handle the Fullertons for Major Bailey (now retired)
Dolly
WW Member

Postby WickaWhippet » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi, I am Ronny. My screen name on the old board was WickaWhippet, and still is, which shows you how much imagination I've got!

I have two Whippets. Wicka is six, and was my first Whippet. Paige is three. Before I discovered Whippets, I had Collies all my life, but now I'm totally hooked on Whippets.

I used to live in New Jersey, but just moved to Jacksonville, FL. And when I say "just" moved, I mean that literally, as I've only been here 5 days. So I'm still in the settling in process, unpacking and getting familiar with my new surroundings. So far, things are looking good, and I'm optimistic about the future although this is a big change for me.

But as long as I've got my girls here, how bad can things be?

Ronny

001small.jpg
WickaWhippet
WW Member

Postby skinnyshubie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:57 pm

Hi. I'm Paula and I live in NH. I work in Publishing. We are owned by one Whippet Shubie, who is now 4.5 years old. I have two teenage kids, ages 14 and 16, and a husband who puts up with our obsession with our Whippet. We also own two cats, both Abbysinian crosses, and one Canadian Sport horse. We are very involved in horse sports.

Shubie leads a very active and fulfilled life here in NH. His best friend is a Golden Retriever. He loves to chase my son as he uses his scooter in the house. Shubie hates the lawnmower!!

Shubie was a very successful agility dog until he sustained a bad fracture to his leg. He is now fine, can run and jump but I have retired him from agility.
Attachments
IMG_0052.JPG
Living the good life in NH
shuflycropr.jpg
Shubie "flying" over a jump at an agility trial. He sure loved the Jumpers!
(294.58 KiB) Downloaded 2109 times
skinnyshubie
WW Member

Postby WhippetJRTmom1 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi - It's been way too long since I posted on WW! I'm Teresa, and I am "owned" by Gracie, sweet and ornery whippet, as well as three Jack (Parson's) Russell Terriers named Ruby, Maddie, and Otis. If you are a long-time member of the Board, I hope you remember us. Although I don't think I've posted since bringing Otis home, three years ago!

I live in Maryland, very near the PA and DE lines. I've missed everyone here. Happy New Year to all! Here are a few pictures of the crew.

Teresa - WhippetJRTmom

Gracie aka Princess Gracie
December2008puppies 020.jpg

From L to R - Ruby, Otis, Maddie w/ Gracie towering over!
December2008puppies 008.jpg

Ruby aka Lovebug
December2008puppies 015.jpg

Maddie and Otis
December2008puppies 004.jpg
WhippetJRTmom1
WW Member

Postby surreyhill » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi--

I'm Karen Lee, my kennel name is Surrey Hill, and we live outside Oxford, PA. I'm a member of PHAST and MAWRA, active in showing, lure coursing, and racing with my dogs, and mother and I have owned and bred Whippets under the Surrey Hill prefix since 1979. Mom is retired from the breed now, but will be judging the 2009 AWC Futurity.

I'm a longtime member of Whippet World, so I think most of the people know me, but for newcomers, we have five or six Whippets in residence at all times, and some dogs who go back and forth between the houses of my friends and co-owners depending on what they are doing at the time.

Permanent members are Pea--Ch. Diablesse Surrey Hill Say Yaha OTRM CR DPC; Maura--Am.Can.Ch. Surrey Hill's Glenmorangie CR OTR DPC; and Tabitha--Surrey Hill Casting the Runes F.Ch. OTR CR DPC. I also have two Whippets who are usually here, but are flying south for the winter with co-owner Leila to continue their coursing until the National--Jewel, Surrey Hill's Ripon Jewel LCM, and Bonzer--Ch. Surrey Hill's Galafrey ARX DPCX F.CH. OTR CR. Jewel's mum, English Mabel used to be permanent but she got shangheid to Smithfield to serve as daughter Inga's stable pony. Mabel's true home is wherever the largest pile of fluff can be found.

Two of Leila's young fawn and white bitches are here with me to go to dog shows over the winter--Vendome and Voges. They are both daughters of Pea. I'm hoping I'll have some reasons to post their photos and brags here over the next few months.

I'm a rabid UNC Tar Heels and Eagles fan, and my other hobbies are fishing and attempting to write. My husband, Cliff, works for DuPont and my son, Eric, is 15. That's the gang!

Happy New Year and the new board looks great! :handgestures-thumbup: Feels like home already!

Karen Lee
What I need right now is a strong drink and a peer group.
surreyhill
WW Member

Postby surreyhill » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:16 pm

WhippetJRTmom1 wrote:Hi - It's been way too long since I posted on WW! I'm Teresa, and I am "owned" by Gracie, sweet and ornery whippet, as well as three Jack (Parson's) Russell Terriers named Ruby, Maddie, and Otis. If you are a long-time member of the Board, I hope you remember us. Although I don't think I've posted since bringing Otis home, three years ago!

I live in Maryland, very near the PA and DE lines. I've missed everyone here. Happy New Year to all! Here are a few pictures of the crew.

Teresa - WhippetJRTmom

You must live a hop-skip-jump away from me, then. Elkton? Rising Sun?
surreyhill
WW Member

Postby WhippetJRTmom1 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:24 pm

Colora... Where are you?
WhippetJRTmom1
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:28 pm

WhippetJRTmom1 wrote:If you are a long-time member of the Board, I hope you remember us.

Teresa I'm soo glad you've come back to join us!!

I always enjoy seeing your crew. When you get some time you'll have to fill us in on how Gracie's been doing. (as well as your 3 little ruffians :romance-inlove: )

Wendy
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby BrigitteGreen » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:31 pm

WhippetJRTmom1 wrote:Hi - It's been way too long since I posted on WW! I'm Teresa, and I am "owned" by Gracie, sweet and ornery whippet, as well as three Jack (Parson's) Russell Terriers named Ruby, Maddie, and Otis. If you are a long-time member of the Board, I hope you remember us.

I absolutely remember you!!!! So good to hear from you Teresa. I hope Gracie has finally settled down by now.
BrigitteGreen
WW Manager

Postby surreyhill » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:32 pm

WhippetJRTmom1 wrote:Colora... Where are you?

Lincoln University is my mailing address, but it's actually Oxford.

I smell playdate.
surreyhill
WW Member

Postby SueG201 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi my name is Sue, and I have been a long time lurker on WW. I currently own a 2.5 yr old whippet
named Fiona (AKA Wild Child) She is the daughter
of John Heffernan's whippet Patriot. She entertains us
with her antics and we love her. Her big sister is
Scout a 10 yr old greyhound and they are best buds.
I had a rescue wh ippet for 8+ yrs who died from a
blood disorder and I still miss her sweet shy ways.
SueG201
WW Member

Postby o4aclaireism » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi, this is o4aclaireism. I've been a member of the old board for a while (ever since I got my girl, Rumble Girl).

I live outside of Houston, TX where I teach biology and biotechnology at the local public high school. In my "spare time" I train my dog for agility and rally-O, make stained glass, quilt, read, travel, and make artist trading cards.

I have two great dogs: my 4.5yr old whippet, Rumble Girl (Broadstrider's Tromblay) who is the apple of my eye.

I also have a puppy (he'll be 1 on valentines day) lowchen named Bombeck. They couldn't be more different.

Glad to be here (shout out to RG's BFF--Mason!!!)
Attachments
DSCN0990.JPG
DSC_0082.JPG
o4aclaireism
WW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whippet World Message Board