For those with 1 dog - how long can you leave them alone?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

For those with 1 dog - how long can you leave them alone?

Postby Michele83 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:14 am

Hi there

I was wondering, for those who just have one whippet at home, how long are you able to leave it alone in the house for? I.e. what is your own particular experience with this (not looking for opinions on what is right or wrong generally :) )

How long can you/do you leave your own dog for and be pretty confident they'll be fine? E.g. 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours, all day etc.

Many thanks
Michele83
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: For those with 1 dog - how long can you leave them alone

Postby Popsicle » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:47 am

Hi
I've got a single Whippet, although I don't think it matters how many you have, eventually they are going to need to go to the loo! I don't leave mine for longer than 3 hours, after that I start fretting that she will need to go out and I am sure Pops would also start wondering when she might get the door opened.
I'm not a expert, this Whippet is my first and only, but this is what works for us and our routine.
Popsicle
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: For those with 1 dog - how long can you leave them alone

Postby PAWhippets » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:22 pm

Hello. This is definitely one of those "hot button" questions, since there are some who take it to ridiculous extremes and seem to think Whippets should never be left on their own ever :lol: One important factor is the age of the dog, which has much to do with the dog's ability to "hold it", and the housebreaking process; obviously a puppy needs to relieve itself much more frequently than an adult. But dogs have different personalities too - some are fine left alone for hours and just snooze, while others can't seem to deal with it for 15 minutes without a lot of work to acclimate them. Sorry I can't give you a "one size fits all" answer, but there truly isn't one! I will add that our adults have been fine for the length of a full work day (8 hours, sometimes a bit more) when necessary, but we have a dog door leading to a securely fenced area, and we have multiples, most of whom don't really adore each other but at least it's company.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Return to Whippet World Message Board