Do Whippets shed hair????

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Do Whippets shed hair????

Postby OutboatingWhippets » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:13 am

That is a question that I get asked all the time. With a big bold smile, I reply "oh no, they hardly shed at all. As a matter of fact they really don't have any skin issues at all".

To night I decided that this week I would broom the house's hard wood floors instead of using the shop vac. OMG!!! THEY DO SHED!!! I have been vaccuming it up without seeing how much hair is on the floor. I thought I found a long lost 4th Whippet. Perhaps their wenter coat is still shedding because of the heat or I never noticed how much because of the vac.

Anyone else want to shine in?? Do your Wippets shed hair too??
OutboatingWhippets
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Do Whippets shed hair????

Postby whippethound » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:20 am

you should see the dark blue throw on my bed after a few days of whippets lounging on it...yeah they do shed, small hair and not alot..nothing like my shepards did....
whippethound
WW Member

Postby hazeltacymom » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:26 am

Tacy is way worse than Hazel when it comes to shedding. And what's weird is that her white fur sheds more than the brindle.

Christina
hazeltacymom
WW Member

Postby OutboatingWhippets » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:30 am

Yes Christina, Angel, my true white one sheds the worst.
OutboatingWhippets
WW Member

Postby gasbag » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:33 am

Do they shed?????? :laughing-rolling:
DO THEY SHED?????? :angry-cussing:
DO THEY SHED?????? :angry-screaming:
Once a week we have to vacuum up, wipe off, shake out and otherwise remove whippet fur from every corner of this house.
Once a month we take all that collected fur, put it in a pile and build a new whippet.
gasbag
WW Member

Postby Skinnydogz » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:33 am

They sure do shed! I'd guess the ones that live in areas that get all the seasons shed more in the spring. I'm constantly shaking out and washing their bedding and my scatter rugs.

Lynn
Hannah & Yowza
Skinnydogz
WW Member

Postby EmilNorenaDigby » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:36 am

LOL! I can picture your face when you discovered your 'new' whippet. :D

I have a rubber brush that I use on Emil and after rubbing especially his neck with it, there's a white carpet of hair left on the brush. I agree with Christina that they seem to shed more of the white than the brindle hairs.

I think they shed a little bit evenly throughout the year instead of having two big shedding periods like a lot of other dog breeds do.

I also give them Omega-3 oil made for pets and that helps against excessive shedding.

Maybe a pic of whippet no. 4 is in order? ;)

Norena & Emil & Digby
EmilNorenaDigby
WW Member

Postby sdwhippets » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:01 am

Our house is carpeted and it is total hell on our vacuum - I have to clean the filter after each use because of the dog dandruff and shedding hair. If you are wearing black clothes around here - carry a lint roller. So yes, they do shed - LOL BUT, they are not nearly as bad as our Siberian Husky mix we have. I have to take a brush and probably an air force dryer to him this weekend to pull out all the hair that is falling out of him, blowing his winter coat finally and I just pulled what looked like a little version of himself out of his crate this afternoon - LOL
sdwhippets
WW Member

Postby bowmanmealey » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:19 am

I have five whippets and five cats. One cat is a long haired Siberian. When i sweep and vacume i blame it all on Tristan,the siberian. But really its everyone. Whippet hair sticks to stuff. Its hard to vacume up. One whippet youd never notice. But who has just one.....
bowmanmealey
WW Member

Postby theyarelikechips » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:40 am

Like four little stick dogs with alopecia. A couple of mine stress shed especially when at the vet on the nice black table. I run through a vac about ever 16-18 months. I am getting a fifth so I can be certain never to leave the house without dog hair on me :lol: . It bothered me with the first, I lived with a lint roller in my hand, changed out of work clothes when I ran home to take care of the dogs at lunch time and then.............................I adjusted my reality and wardrobe.
theyarelikechips
WW Supporter

Postby islandwhippets » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:42 am

My two blue brindles who have no white fur -do not shed much. One of them doesn't shed at all -her fur is like teddy bear fur. It doesn't even like to get wet. My fawn sheds lots and my male again at his white neck could build his own whippet. The shorter the coat on the whippet -the less they seem to shed .
islandwhippets
WW Member

Postby patchnmike » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:26 am

I have a closet where I keep my non-hairy clothes for showing up in public. I have a folded towel in that closet to unfold and put on the floor when I get dressed so I don't drag all the hair on the floor onto my pant legs when changing. WHen I come home I run to that closet and strip and then go to the regular closet and drape myself in my hairy apparel! Ahhhhhh! Life with dogs.
Jini
patchnmike
WW Supporter

Postby Whippetmom4 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:48 pm

OMG....Do they? YEP!!!! They shed throughout the year, but twice a year, they REALLY shed. We could have made a whole pack of Whippets out of the stuff!!! And, when they go to the vet (and they are always nervous), they shed horribly. That's probably the only thing I'd change about them. :animals-bunnywhite: (HARE....get it?)
Whippetmom4
WW Supporter

Postby chelynnah » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:27 pm

OutboatingWhippets wrote:That is a question that I get asked all the time. With a big bold smile, I reply "oh no, they hardly shed at all. As a matter of fact they really don't have any skin issues at all".

To night I decided that this week I would broom the house's hard wood floors instead of using the shop vac. OMG!!! THEY DO SHED!!! I have been vaccuming it up without seeing how much hair is on the floor. I thought I found a long lost 4th Whippet. Perhaps their wenter coat is still shedding because of the heat or I never noticed how much because of the vac.

Anyone else want to shine in?? Do your Wippets shed hair too??

Savannah sheds for England twice a year. The Brindles barely shed anything. Savvy has that short soft silky coat and the brindles are longer and thinner so it may be coat type rather than colour.

I can zoom groom Savvy and usually have a cloud of fur flying everywhere. The brindles I'm lucky to get a couple of hairs off them.

Chelsea (being half whippet) is very much like Savannah, but I don't know if that's the whippet or the terrier in her.

Trust me - whippets DO shed!! Having said that, I'm allergic to a lot of dogs, but not to the whippets.

Wendy
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby lukes-mom » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:25 pm

YES!!!
Luke shed all the time. Machie who was brindle hardly used to shed much at all. :confusion-shrug: I always have to use the lint roller on my black clothing.
lukes-mom
WW Member

Postby web2will » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:31 pm

After nursing a dying vacuum cleaner along for several months I went out and bought a new super sucker model. The first day I used it my ceilings got an inch higher :o

Paula

Webster - "I keep on trying to increase the insulation on the floor and she keeps sucking it up with those evil monsters."

Marco - "I don't shed, I deposit relics of my magnificent self."
web2will
WW Member

Postby awlwhippet » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:58 pm

It depends on what I am wearing. If I am wearing dark clothes, only the light colored whippets shed and if I am wearing light clothes then the dark ones shed.
-- Alice
awlwhippet
WW Member

Postby KodiVahn » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:33 pm

Oh yes! I will have to agree with everyone. My white whippet is the WORST!! He sheds soo much! My little brindle girl hardly sheds at all.

Kodi
KodiVahn
WW Member

Next

Return to Whippet World Message Board