Question about conformation showing & scars/wounds

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Question about conformation showing & scars/wounds

Postby dcflutist » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Ok, this is a really easy one, (so easy you'll all chuckle at me, which is fine!) but I couldn't find what I was looking for on Google or in the archives because I think I'm just not asking the right question. In conformation, the breed standard says that old scars and injuries are not penalized, but what about small injuries that aren't quite healed yet? I know something like stitches would be a no-no, but what about something like a small scrape that just hasn't healed all the way yet? I ask because I'm trying to decide whether to enter the altered class at the national specialty: I have to be out of town for work not long before that week, and every time I board Bramble, he gets a tiny scrape on the top of the end of his nose, about as big around as a pencil eraser. It heals pretty quickly, but it probably won't be totally gone by show time. Would that be completely frowned upon? Would it be such a huge deduction that it's not even worth it to show? Or is it something that's kind of overlooked? I really want to enter because I know it'd be a lot of fun!

Thanks!
Last edited by chelynnah on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add info to subject line
dcflutist
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 52834

Re: Question about conformation showing

Postby whipgrace6 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:18 pm

I would think that it does not matter, since the standard says "scars AND injuries", and that would be a small injury. I always forget that they have an altered class at the Whippet specialties. I have never seen that class at the Fox Terrier specialties I have been to, and I think it would be fun. I'd go ahead and show Bramble.
~ Pat, Gracie, and Alf
whipgrace6
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby PAWhippets » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:40 am

I agree, that won't be an issue; Whippets are always giving themselves little boo-boos. Go show and have fun!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby chelynnah » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:38 pm

I don't know what it's like in the US, but whippets shown with stitches or staples isn't uncommon over here, as long as their injury hasn't affected their movement. One of my friends showed hers with an almost 6 inch long staple line where they'd had a bad tear a week before. It didn't affect movement and he actually did quite well in his class. Obviously you don't see it every show, but when one does come along no one thinks twice. If it's not obvious when the judge approaches the dog you just politely let them know so they don't go too hard over that area. A good judge can still feel a good dog.

But while it's accepted over here it might not be there.

I've also adjusted your title to be a bit more specific so someone who knows more might see from the title it's something they can answer.
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Re: Question about conformation showing & scars/wounds

Postby paperflowers11 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:45 pm

Palley finished with a cut on her side. It was mostly healed, but here are pics of it, from her breeder's FB page;

The cut: https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 9544_n.jpg

The day she finished, you can still see it, I got her a few days later and it was still a little scabbed over: https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... .jpg?lvh=1
...and their human, Kelsi in Massachusetts
paperflowers11
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 33525

Postby Sally Long » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:42 pm

Wendy's answer is correct in the States, as well. Stiches or staples are OK in the US ring, so long as the injury doesn't affect movement or stance. I wouldn't show one with a drain in or a seeping wound (yuck), but otherwise, go for it! Do politely mention the wound to the judge, so he/she doesn't accidentally touch it or cause pain to the dog.
Sally Long
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 7012

Postby kentruth » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Actually 'stitches & staples' are NOT okay! They come under the "classification" of foreign substances and a judge can disqualify a dog from the ring. Disqualifications can make a dog ineligible for further conformation competition.

Here's a link to the PDF for rules & regulations governing Confirmation Competition; http://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RREGS3.pdf

...and no you CANNOT bring a letter from the vet. Judges are not allowed to see any documents pertaining to any individual dog, if they do, they face possible consequences.
kentruth
WW Manager

Postby MimiEzraWhippet » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:43 pm

I've always heard it's up to the judge as to if they want to excuse for stitches.. A friend of mine went WB with her Ridgeback with a 6 inch row stitches on her show side from going through a fence after a groundhog the weekend before.
MimiEzraWhippet
WW Member

Postby Dogday » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:12 am

I think the official scar language is something around "work or accident" should not be point deductions. Work being the work the breed is supposed to do, i.e. hunting. Fundamentally, dog showing is about breeding stock to preserve the breed standard and you cannot "inherit" scars, and why you cannot alter a dog at least in the AKC and show them because they can't breed. That said, it's still a people and judge game and if the judge is looking at two equally exceptional specimens and one has a scar, does that sway their bias even unconsciously? Finally, it's nearly impossible to keep a whippet scar free unless you preserve them in amber. ( :
Dogday
WW Member

Postby Rommimum » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:48 pm

I wouldn't show a dog with sutures or staples but a bit of dry scabbing or a scar, even a decent one would not bother me. The do not alter conformation so no issues there.

I have never seen one shown with sutures or staples here but I have been out of the ring for a while with limited outting so it may happen
Rommimum
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 8878

Return to Whippet World Message Board