Inappropiate "pooping" Vindictive behavior?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Inappropiate "pooping" Vindictive behavior?

Postby Swiftcreek_Hounds » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:16 pm

I have an odd question...one of my dogs who shall remain nameless has a bad habit that seems to be getting worse. For the last year, if I would leave somewhere with the other dogs, he would go downstairs to my neighbor (duplex). He started to poop on the porch when I would leave him with my neighbor, who was home.

We of course thought it was funny, because this dog is clean and he seemed to be mad at my neighbor and not me, for getting left behind.

Lately, this same dog has pooped on the porch when all people and dogs have been home. He did it last night while I was downstairs!!!! We didn't catch him, but he was the only one who went out there.

This dog is 5....no confused puppy. The porch and other areas of my neighbor's place has lots of cat urine, and let's just say he isn't exactly clean.....I am not pleased with my dog if this is going to continue to escalate. Any ideas why he might be doing this? He does NOT like to poop in the yard and I frequently need to "Match him" if I am leaving for the day. He has no issues pooping on a walk or at the park, but is resistant to doing so in the yard.

Frustrating!!!!!

Annie
'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'
Swiftcreek Hounds
Minneapolis, MN
scwhippets@ gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~n0va/
Swiftcreek_Hounds
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 5361

Re: Inappropiate "pooping" Vindictive behavior?

Postby Aniemother » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:38 pm

I've got no ideas for the solution - but they sure can be vendictive... A friend's mother's dog would go pee on the toilet (well.. at least he was in the right place... :lol: ) whenever he'd been corrected for unwanted behaviour...

Hope someone else have something for you. Best of luck!
- Ane -
Aniemother
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby StephanieColman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:55 pm

Dogs do not possess the ability to be vindictive or spiteful. Those are human abilities! Typically, when an owner says a dog is vindictive or spiteful, the dog is really operating out of stress.

Seems like all the inapporpriate pooping is linked to you being gone. I'd start teaching him to tolorate being away from you a bit bitter.

For the won't-poop-at-home issue, I'd start taking him for "walks" at home when you think he needs to poop. Stop going for the neighborhood walk. Take away the option to poop elsewhere. He gets the walk when he drops a log on his home turf. He may go a couple days w/o a walk, but eventually he'll have to poop and if the yard is all that's there... he'll either poop there or he'll explode! :o While you're doing this, treat him like a puppy w/ zero unsupervised time so that if he starts to poop in the wrong spot, you can catch him in the act and usher him outside.
StephanieColman
WW Member

Postby Swiftcreek_Hounds » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:07 am

I know....I admit I was really bad with this dog in babying him. I got him as a 5 month old, and he is a relative to a dog I lost awhile back, same color so he did get a little spoiled and was allowed to get away with stuff nobody else could. I'll try leashing him up and walking in the yard...could be the yard is too small?? It's about the size of a postage stamp...but yet at my old place we had a pen that we affectionately called the "Shit Corral" and he went there.
Swiftcreek Hounds
Minneapolis, MN
scwhippets@ gmail.com
Swiftcreek_Hounds
WW Member

Postby WildAbout_Whippets » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:26 am

Thanks Stephanie for your input.... any chance you have your latest posts combined to one page somewhere? I'd love to be able to print them out for some of our clients.

Also, my 11 year old girl will urinate in my dining room if I leave her home uncrated. She has never had any separation issues, crates well and in general is a wonderful dog. I'd hardly call her "attached to me" or "needy".... but she certainly has some sort of issue when I leave. So, she's crated. She runs to her crate now when I leave. At least she's happy there. In fact, as I type, she's in her crate with the door open.
WildAbout_Whippets
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 3604

Postby Patience » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:05 am

Thank you Stephanie.
Patience and the Warburton Waggle

Have you read your story today?
http://Patience-please.blogspot.com
Patience
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5750

Postby Swiftcreek_Hounds » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:22 am

Did I miss something?
Swiftcreek Hounds
Minneapolis, MN
scwhippets@ gmail.com
Swiftcreek_Hounds
WW Member

Postby StephanieColman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:11 pm

Annie:

All my articles are listed here:

http://www.examiner.com/x-18986-San-Fer ... s-Examiner

I hope to get part two of the recall article up this weekend or Monday.
StephanieColman
WW Member

Postby Swiftcreek_Hounds » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:21 pm

Oho. Doesn't really apply to my porch question, but thanks anyway.
Swiftcreek Hounds
Minneapolis, MN
scwhippets@ gmail.com
Swiftcreek_Hounds
WW Member

Postby Wendy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:30 pm

I think Stephanie was replying to the other Annie (WildAbout) who asked if all of her articles could be seen in one place. I've been enjoying the articles too, good stuff!
Wendy
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 20088

Postby MarciaInNM » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:55 pm

Annie,

I think you've answered you own question. You know that the dog really dislikes pooping in the yard, and feels like the neighbor's porch is an preferable place to go. At first he may have avoided going on the porch when you were home, but he's becoming more and more comfortable with the idea. The scent and familiarity are attracting him back, plus he seriously dislikes the yard. I don't think vindictiveness enters the picture here.

Do you have any idea why he doesn't like the yard: because it's a tiny yard, the type of surface available, other dogs who 'own' the yard, etc?
Marcia
Tessa, Captain & Breezy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby StephanieColman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:12 am

I thought I answered the porch question in my first post:

For the last year, if I would leave somewhere with the other dogs, he would go downstairs to my neighbor (duplex). He started to poop on the porch when I would leave him with my neighbor, who was home.

Seems, he's only pooping on the porch when you've left him... You *leave* him at home b/c you've gone out with the other dog and he poops on the neighbor's porch. You *leave* him with the neighbor, and he poops on the porch.

Two things are consistent: YOU LEAVING him (which may be causing a bit of stress, which manifests itself as a house-training problem and the PORCH, which was probably a coincidence the first time, but then it became a habit to go there when stressed.

(And yes, the link was in response to Annie asking if all my articles were in one place.)
StephanieColman
WW Member

Postby Swiftcreek_Hounds » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:41 am

well, the pooper is the Alpha dog....the yard is grass and dirt...mostly dirt, plus mulch and a tree to lift on. He has no issues marking his normal spots with urine. The yard is maybe 10 yards x 15 yards so quite small, but I pick up every stool right away.

I think Marcia has it.....he went a few times on the porch when I was gone, and maybe he doesn't like crapping with the others out there, makes him feel vulnerable? When he craps on the porch, he has no audience; human, k9 or feline. Plus the porch is pretty much saturated with cat urine (thankfully not my problem) so I am going to try not letting him have the opportunity to even go out on the porch and make sure he doesn't pick a new spot!!

This is why my dogs aren't allowed in the general population until 5-6 months when I KNOW they won't run off and soil somewhere, as with multiple animals once that starts it's hard to stop.

Annie
Swiftcreek Hounds
Minneapolis, MN
scwhippets@ gmail.com
Swiftcreek_Hounds
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board