lymphoma in whippets

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

lymphoma in whippets

Postby coolquaywhippets » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:59 pm

Has anyone ever had experience with lymphoma in whippets? If so, how did it present and how old was the dog?

Thanks guys,

Ivy
Coolquay Whippets Reg'd.
Home of Ripley, Hawkeye, Breeze, Hunter, Jade, GoGo, Junior, Blueberry, Mini, Salem, and resident Greyhound,"Lacy"
coolquaywhippets
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 15058

Re: lymphoma in whippets

Postby wynmor » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:53 pm

I've had two, litter brother and sister.
I knew there was something "wrong" with the girl when she was about 12-1/2 yrs. old. Took her to the vet, found nothing at the time. From then until 6 weeks later it became more apparent something was still amiss. She began to lose weight and started to have accidents while crated. That was so unlike her! She too knew something was wrong. When she started to refuse food over a couple days I knew it was time. I made the appointment to have her PTS. As I set her up on the exam table I then saw the lumps above her shoulder blade which hadn't been apparent to me. I pointed them out to the vet as she walked through the door. Lymphoma was her first word and then knowing she had seen her about 6 weeks before said that the outward signs come on fast. Lumps were also found under her forelegs near the chest wall and between her hind legs.
The litter brother started going down hill at about 13-1/2. He just started looking old and began to get dottery. It wasn't until about a month before I had him put down that tell tale lumps showed up in below his jaw near his neck. He did make it 3 + weeks past his 14th birthday but gosh he was confused and falling that last day. He, other the other hand, didn't have an accident but let me know during the night when he HAD to go out!
After getting him to the vet, she discovered that his spleen was enlarged and was probably cancerous too. Lumps were small yet in between his hind legs and hardly could be felt near his forelegs.
Different dogs, different presentations of the same disease.
I still miss both of them. Ch. Wynmor Chez Suave SC and Ch Wynmor Clipper Skipper SC CGC.
Hope this helps. :sympathy-flower:
Carola Beranek
Wynmor Whippets at Pastime Farm
wynmor
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby HopTuit Whippets » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:50 pm

My roommate just lost her old girl, Shadow, to lymphoma. I believe she was 13 years old, and was diagnosed in April. As Carola said about hers, Shadow got a little dottery, and eating was a bit of a chore. Some days she screamed for meals (prednisone) and some days didn't eat much of anything. She made it until the end of August, which was longer than the diagnosing vets thought. I miss her a lot.
HopTuit Whippets
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 45257

Postby WhippetWoman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:41 pm

Lymphomas and leukemias are considered the most common cancers in dogs. I have had 3. The first was Hillary, born in 1982. She started with non-specific signs when she was 4 1/2 - slight lameness in the LR leg, and then a mammary tumor. When we biopsied that it turned out to be lymphoma. I was a sophomopre vet student at the time and the great oncologist Dr. Greg Ogilvie was at the U of I, so she got a fantastic work-up. Turned out to have tumor in heart, diaphragm, bone, muscle and almost everywhere else except her lymph system (not strictly true as her spleem was affected.) She died 3 weeks after we diagnosed her due to heart arrhythmias from the dying tumor, after her first dose of chemo. (Her case was so rare, I wrote it up and published it in the JAVMA - the vet journal.) Her daughter, Evie was next, her lymph nodes all swelled up when she was also about 4 1/2. She responded pretty well to chemo and survived about 9 months. I was really white-knuckling it with Hillary's granddaughter, Nancy, but she lived to be almost 14. The last lymphoma was Sarah, who was related to Hillary (half-sister, same dam) who I diagnosed at 16 with intestinal lymphoma. I didn't treat her except with a little pred because of her age.
Have you had a dog diagnosed recently? Overall, I'd rather treat lymphoma than almost any other kind of cancer, except skin tumors. I have had great success in practice, the best being a lab who survived 23 months on chemo. He did so great, people thought the owners were lying when they said he was sick!
Connie B
WhippetWoman
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 1338

Postby engelsmom » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:55 pm

Georgia was almost 13 when one of my good friends noticed the lumps on each side of her jaw. I took her to my vet right away and he diagnosed it as lymphoma. She was given chemo, the first treatment took care of the lumps on jaw and shoulders. She handled two more chemo treatments well, but the fourth was so hard on her, I elected not to have the last one. She was 14 on June 1 and is still a happy, fairly healthy dog.

Jane
engelsmom
WW Member

Postby coolquaywhippets » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:24 pm

WhippetWoman wrote:Have you had a dog diagnosed recently?
Connie B

About a month ago one of my females (age 6) had the runs, so I did what I normally do (fast for 24 hrs, then introduce bland food in small amounts to not overwhelm the system) and within a week, the diarrhea had not cleared up (no matter what I fed her) and she had dropped weight, of course. So off to the vet, for some anti-diarrheal meds, which cleared it up, but her body was looking like she was still losing weight. Muscle mass, basic shape of a healthy whippet, etc. So back to the vet to do fecal, urine and blood work, all of which came back normal (except her protein was a little low).

Now over the course of this past month, her appetite is good, she still has watery poop and her ribs appear quite sprung, she's a bit guarded in the belly area and her breathing is faster. We're off to the vet again on Friday to do a chest xray and an utlrasound. I suspect she has cancer, :(

She has no masses that are visible on her body, I suspect though, that her insides may tell a different story.

Ivy
Coolquay Whippets Reg'd.
Home of Ripley, Hawkeye, Breeze, Hunter, Jade, GoGo, Junior, Blueberry, Mini, Salem, and resident Greyhound,"Lacy"
coolquaywhippets
WW Member

Postby Gibbous Whippets » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:42 pm

ivy...hope everything is ok and fingers crossed its just a severe case of IBD
Gibbous Whippets
WW Member

Postby WhippetWoman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:05 pm

There are a number of possibilities with your girl - cancer certainly, IBD, some liver disease (the low protein could also mean that), lymphangectasia (another intestinal disease) come to mind immediately. Also some infectous diseases such as a fungal disease, tho typically those dogs aren't eating. In fact, because she's eating, I'm most suspicious of IBD or something similar. Usually cancer dogs are also off food.
Let us know.
Connie B
WhippetWoman
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 1338

Postby coolquaywhippets » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks for the well wishes - I will keep you posted.

Ivy
Coolquay Whippets Reg'd.
coolquaywhippets
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:51 am

Ivy, I hope you get good news from the vet.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Re: lymphoma in whippets - now IBD

Postby coolquaywhippets » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:16 am

Piper UPDATE:

Today Piper went in to get chest x-rays as well as an abdominal ultrasound.

Chest x-rays were clear, and the ultrasound showed no masses or large tumors. It did show thickening of the intestinal wall and excess fluid in the abdomen.

I was delighted not to have any masses, and preliminary diagnosis is IBD.

Anyone out there that has had to deal with IBD?

Ivy
Coolquay Whippets Reg'd.
coolquaywhippets
WW Member

Postby AerynnScarlett » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:34 pm

We went through the same thing with Rose: it was either very bad cancer or IBD. We were thrilled to discover that it is the chronic IBD and not cancer, although it took about $2K worth of tests to figure it out. But she had the same symptoms, the slow, watery bowel. She improved when we put her on prednisone to suppress her immune system and a prescription diet of venison and sweet potato, which are proteins her body hasn't had before so her immune system wouldn't react to it.
AerynnScarlett
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5145

Return to Whippet World Message Board