When do Whippets start their first heat?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

When do Whippets start their first heat?

Postby Sugars Daddy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:36 pm

Not sure, but can it be that Sugar is about to start her first heat?

Saturday at her Intermediate Training, she would not cooperate. At all. I couldn't even get her to sit. Our trainer said maybe she's just having a bad day, but Sugar has NEVER acted like this before. I couldn't get eye contact for her to stay/wait - and it was just frustrating.

Then, there is a big Doberman in our class that is handled with kid gloves because she has some aggression issues. She was LOCKED on Sugar, never taking her eyes off of my girl. So when the trainer took Sugar in her arms and tried to let them visit, the Doberman would not take her nose out of Sugar's booty.

She suggested that maybe Sugar is getting ready to start.... She will be 8 months old on 18th of February.
Sugars Daddy
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: When do Whippets start their first heat?

Postby MarciaInNM » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:50 pm

It's possible. You may want to ask her breeder when her girls tend to start. I've heard widely varying ages for a girl's first season, from as early as 8 months to more than 18 months. It seems to depend on their family, and possibly size(?). Frequency of season varies, too.
Marcia
Tessa, Captain & Breezy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby bowmanmealey » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:54 pm

Males can know a month ahead of time. Nine months is about the youngest.My girls usually come in after a year. About 14 months old. Ive found that the ones who come in early are the one who cycle the most.Daphne came in at nine months and has been a 6mos cycler . Even less if she got wind of other girls in heat when she was five months. Pray Sugar goes longer.
bowmanmealey
WW Member

Postby stardustmomma » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:58 pm

She could be. I've had a whippet bitch come into season for the first time at 7 months old. Its rare that they start that early, but they can. She also may have a slight case of puppy vaginitus or a mild UTI (Urinary tract infection). I would just keep an eye on her for the next few days and if you see any pink or red bloody spotting, you'll know she is coming into season. If you don't have whippet britches for her already, you might want to think about getting a pair now so you'll be ready when she starts. If Sugar starts being picky about eating, acts lethargic or runs a fever, then it may be an infection and you will need to get her to a vet so they can check. Otherwise I wouldn't worry. Many bitches when they first come into season get "bitchy" and don't want to do anything. That is why they call them "bitches". Hope this helps.

Lisa
stardustmomma
WW Supporter

Postby Sugars Daddy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Sugar was one of 9 pups, and she is smaller in size.

She has been very short of appetite, and has been sort of licking herself lately. I think I will schedule a vet visit...
Sugars Daddy
WW Member

Postby WhippetScraps1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:22 pm

My current girls came in at 14 months, one goes 6 months in between like clockwork, the other took 10 months for her next cycle :confusion-shrug: They are all different, the first season always seems the roughest on them also, some get a little confused, but each time they seem to figure out how to handle things better :handgestures-thumbup:

Just make sure you keep watch over her like a hawk when she's outside, even in the yard, as most males are willing to do anthing in any manner to get to a bitch in heat! Even thru fences :whistle:

Wendy
WhippetScraps1
WW Supporter

Postby Sugars Daddy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:29 pm

Well, I have a slight delimma - I am not sure if her breeder will be interested in showing her. If she wanted to, I'd love it - but I'm not going to push her. I'll just ask her one more time, and if she isn't all over it, I'll schedule the surgery (if she isn't starting her first one).

I set up a vet visit for in the morning, and she will also be getting her chip.
Sugars Daddy
WW Member

Postby stardustmomma » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:46 pm

If you do decide to spay her, do it well before she comes in for the first time or wait at least 6 weeks after her first season to spay her. I would not spay her during her season, unless it is a life or death need.

And as WhippetScraps1 stated, a male will go to all ends to get to a bitch in season. You should keep her on a leash or be outside with her at all times when she is in season (figure 28-30 days from the time you see spotting). Do not let any males anywhere near her. I have seen males scale a 6 ft privacy fence to get to an in season female. And if they can, they will also try to grab them through open fencing such as chainlink, picket, etc. to breed them (and are often very successful at doing it).

Lisa
stardustmomma
WW Supporter

Postby Greypaws » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:26 pm

If she's already to start I whole heartedly agree to hold off until she is finished with her cycle. A couple of months wait is best for the internal swelling to go back to normal. You are going to need girlie britches though, a couple of pair and some maxi pad liners, so your home stays clean. I don't carry girlie britches but there are several Whippet world vendors that do sell them.
Website: Cottage Hound Designs - Where fashionable hounds shop!
Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/d2mcp8l
Christel, Ella & Chapel
Greypaws
WW Member

Postby Pantheon Whippets » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Personally I wouldn't spay or neuter until they've finished most of their growth --- and that won't be for a while with Sugar. Although we all know of bitches that come into heat this early, I'm not sure if I would call that "common" IMHO.

Charles

Pantheon Whippets
WW Member

Postby silverdog71 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:07 am

One other thing to think about and this would be something between you and her breeder....

What was your contract? You've mentioned a few times that 'her breeder might want to show her". Is she completely yours or do you co-own her with the breeder? I know many would think this a minor issue to bring up but in case of co-ownership, you need to get a hold of the breeder and discuss spaying first. The last thing you want to do is go ahead with the procedure and then have problems with a co-owner. IMO

I also agree that the later the spaying the better so development is complete. Good luck with her. I know you and the family love her and she is a cute little girl :)
silverdog71
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 3883

Postby WhippetScraps1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:15 am

Wanted to add that I agree on holding off on spaying her, I would wait until she's at least a year, or had her second heat... Also, make sure the breeder knows about this, especially if she might be shown ;)

She shouldn't be a problem in the house for you, as she is the only dog (you don't have a bunch of males acting silly) and female dogs (at least the ones I've owned) don't act like female cats in season, you can hardly tell a difference when dogs come in heat. Just get some bitch panties for her, and keep her far away from the dog park, her brothers and any males at all (even when on walks), it'll be over before you know it :clap:

Wendy
WhippetScraps1
WW Supporter

Postby Sugars Daddy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:34 am

We bought Sugar from the Coopers, and we own her 100% with the agreement to spay. However, Mrs. Cooper thinks she's a real pretty girl and told me that she is willing to waive that spay agreement if she shows her. Mrs. Cooper is also going through a big move right now and has her hands full, so I need to talk to her again as it is getting close to decision time. I really want to wait until it is BEST for her to be spayed, even if I have to endure a couple of heats.

I just want to be well informed, because I am hearing all different kinds of things. I have no intention of breeding her, and showing her is solely on the decision of the breeder. I don't see myself doing anything than a little training - and coursing whenever I can get to it.

She's a companion first and foremost. If we can make the other things happen, I think it would be fun and cool for Sugar and the kids.
Sugars Daddy
WW Member

Postby Janet and the Hounds » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:40 am

I really think Sugar was anxious around the dobe. The dobe was showing some intense behavior. If my dogs are around a new dog that they are unsure about they will not sit/down because it makes them vulnerable to the other dog.
Janet and the Hounds
WW Supporter

Postby PAWhippets » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:45 am

It's a moot point if she is coming in now, but spaying before the first season reduces the risk of mammary cancer to near zero, so that is one advantage of spaying earlier rather than later.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby whippethound » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:49 am

You might find this atricle interesting...it made me change my mind about spaying Dilana, and am spaying Dilana later, I had planned on doing it at 10 months..now I am thinking around 14 months...

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html
whippethound
WW Member

Postby piedane » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:08 am

I have a bitch that came in between 8 & 9 months. She has come in every 6 months since. My first bitch didn't come in until she was 24 months and her daughter waited until 26 months so bloodlines have a lot to do with it.

I have been a vet tech for 20 yrs and the first thing a vet is going to say is spay her before her first heat or at 6 months of age to avoid mammary cancer. It does help but they don't mention the growth problems associated with spaying/neutering before maturity. I have done rescue for many years and the only bitches I have seen with mammary cancer are puppymill bitches who have been bred numerous times and never younger then 5-6 yr old. And I would say 90% of rescues aren't spayed when I get them. I show/raise Great Danes and my first litter I did pediatric neuters on the boys and several had growth issues. Now I don't allow neutering until after 2 yrs of age. Live and learn!

I would recommend waiting until she is around 18 months since she should be pretty well grown by then.
Cathy Richmond-Williams
Equiss Whippets
http://www.equisswhippets.com
piedane
WW Member

Postby Rommimum » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:53 am

My bitches first season was at 18 months, her next 6 months and three weeks later. Older than her mum, same age as her grandmother whom she very closely resembles.
Rommimum
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 8878

Next

Return to Whippet World Message Board