Heartworm Preventative

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Heartworm Preventative

Postby tiggersmom » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:38 pm

I cannot find an answer to this in the Archives and would like opinions from other Whippet Owners.

Do the majority of you keep your whippets on heartworm preventative year round or do you stop once a frost has occurred? My vet says it is up to me. I hate medications but the heartworm medication that Manni is on, Iverhart Max, protects against all kinds of worms also the year round and wonder if this is ok for him to take twelve months. He is going to be 2 years old next month and is a healthy happy dog. I gave him his last pill in November, and my vet recommends that he start again in April so he had to have a blood test yesterday to make sure he is negative for heartworm before starting the medication up again. The cost is exactly the same, keeping him on the medication year round vs stopping, getting the blood test and starting up again. I just would like to know how people feel about year-round medication vs giving him a break. Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.
Manni our whippet, est: 4/27/2008
tiggersmom
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Heartworm Preventative

Postby kerriekuper » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Down in Florida we keep the dogs on heartworm medication year round. I use IVOMEC Cattle Solution 10 %. It is very inexpensive and it does help control some worms but not all. You might want to check into it.

I have NEVER in the probably 20 years of using the Ivomec had a problem with it what so ever. I keep my pregnant bitches on it also. I understand this is used in Africa on humans to help control types of worms that are common over there also.

Best Wishes!

Kerrie Kuper
kerriekuper
WW Member

Postby kentruth » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:58 pm

kerriekuper wrote:I understand this is used in Africa on humans to help control types of worms that are common over there also.

The sale of Ivermectin for animal usage helps fund treatment in the 3rd world for things such as 'River Blindness' http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/onchocerciasis/factsht_onchocerciasis.htm
kentruth
WW Manager

Postby Wendy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:28 pm

It depends on where you live. When I lived in Northern VA I would stop HW meds after we had about a month of solid cold temps and start up again in the Spring. Now that I'm in FL I go year round, even with the somewhat cold winter we had. It only takes 1-2 warm days to see mosquitoes here.
Wendy
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 20088

Postby Janet and the Hounds » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:54 pm

I do because my it kills worms and my guys are frequent doggy day care visitors.
If they were homebodies, I would only give during warmer months.

Janet
Janet and the Hounds
WW Supporter

Postby RoughCollies » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:18 pm

Be careful with ivermectin if you have Collies in the house, though. Dixie is ivermectin sensitive (mdR1 mutant/normal) and could die if ingested. I haven't tested Faith but I won't take the risk either way.

No ivermectin (or immodium for that matter) is ever allowed in my house. If Dakota and Spencer are on ivermectin (they haven't been thus far but cost wise, I think I need to put them on it) they will get it at the vets or not at all. I take them up for a weigh in monthly anyway.

So we're completely sure that Whippets are NOT ivermectin sensitive, right? LOL, just kidding, I know they are not. However, coming from a person with Collies you can never be too sure.

To answer the original question we don't do it year round here.
RoughCollies
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 23635

Postby web2will » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:59 pm

I'm in northern MN and I give heartworm from April through November. Just getting the last two in on Friday for their tests. My vet feels they don't need it and it never hurts to cut a chemical when you can, even if it's only for a few months of the year.

If you live in an area where you get "real" winter*, like we usually do, you can take a break during the winter.

Paula

* Okay, we didn't have "real" winter this year. Lake Superior never froze more than a few hundred feet from shore. On our coldest days, the temp was never below zero during the day (we can hit 20 below at noon when we get real arctic blasts - Thanks for the winter off, Canada), we've been in the mid-40s and acutally hit 60 this month and outside of 2 storms that each dumped about 2 feet of snow we've had precious little snow. Yes, we do feel for you easterners, but it was about time for you to take your turn at winter and we thank you for it.
web2will
WW Member

Postby Pantheon Whippets » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:02 pm

kerriekuper wrote:I use IVOMEC Cattle Solution 10 %.

I think you meant 1% ;) and the dosage as I hear it is 1/10 cc per 10 pounds of body weight, correct???

Charles

Pantheon Whippets
WW Member

Postby Sugars Daddy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:24 pm

I give Sugarbooger INTERCEPTOR (milbemycin oxime) tabs once a month. I think I will be doing this year round here in Louisiana - I see mosquitos all the time (well, not all the time, but occasionally I will see one here and there).

Does that sound like a good pill to those of you edumacated on heartworm preventatives?
Sugars Daddy
WW Member

Postby Sarasvita » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:06 pm

Pantheon Whippets wrote:

I think you meant 1% ;) and the dosage as I hear it is 1/10 cc per 10 pounds of body weight, correct???

No, it is more like 0.1cc for a 34 lbs dog.

a 1% solution of ivermectin equals 10mg/cc.
the dose of ivermectin for heart worms in dogs is .003mg/lb (on the high end of the dose).
Do the math

0.3cc for a normal size whippet would keep away heart worms & mange.

Of course, you want to have yr dog checked for HW before starting any new HW prevention.

S
Sarasvita
WW Member

Postby surreyhill » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:41 pm

I use ivomec 9 months out of the year. I discontinue in Dec/Jan/Feb.
What I need right now is a strong drink and a peer group.
surreyhill
WW Member

Postby kerriekuper » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:26 pm

Sarasvita wrote:
Pantheon Whippets wrote:

the dose of ivermectin for heart worms in dogs is .003mg/lb (on the high end of the dose).
Do the math

Of course, you want to have yr dog checked for HW before starting any new HW prevention.

S
Yes, I did mean 1 %...I plead OLD AGE as a excuse for all mistakes and boo boo's now..! :roll: Thanks Charles...It is very inexpensive and you can get the Ivomec for a good price at Tractor Supply.

Kerrie Kuper
kerriekuper
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:43 am

We use Interceptor year-round as most of our recent winters have been pretty mild (except for the almost-neverending one that just, finally, hopefully ended!).

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby Pantheon Whippets » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:34 am

kerriekuper wrote:Sarasvita wrote:
Pantheon Whippets wrote:
kerriekuper wrote:
I use IVOMEC Cattle Solution 10 %.

I think you meant 1% and the dosage as I hear it is 1/10 cc per 10 pounds of body weight, correct???

Do the math

S
Yes, I did mean 1 %...I plead OLD AGE as a excuse for all mistakes and boo boo's now..! Thanks Charles...It is very inexpensive and you can get the Ivomec for a good price at Tractor Supply.

Kerrie Kuper

We're all getting there Kerrie. :lol:

Thanks Sara on the correct dosage, I had demodex on the brain --- figuratively of course. ;)

Charles

Pantheon Whippets
WW Member

Postby Randy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:36 pm

Year round here in Kentucky. For me it is a matter of cost versus peace of mind.
Randy
WW Member

Postby Greypaws » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:57 pm

North Carolina resident, monthly, year round Interceptor. Rarely is cold enough for a long enough period of time to risk skipping winter months. I use Frontline spray for fleas and spread out dosing to 6 weeks apart in the 3 winter mos. March 1st they are back on monthly treatments.
Website: Cottage Hound Designs - Where fashionable hounds shop!
Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/d2mcp8l
Christel, Ella & Chapel
Greypaws
WW Member

Postby WildAbout_Whippets » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:44 am

We use Sentinel year-round
WildAbout_Whippets
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 3604