Third eyelide get real red

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Third eyelide get real red

Postby bco81 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:22 pm

HI, I have noticed that my whippets third eyelids get real red sometimes. I asked the vet about this a few months ago, and he basically said he was body still getting used to the world. But, my whippet is almost 12 months old and still get red.

These pictures are on a normal day they get bright red sometimes. I thought he might have allergies, because when I take him to my moms they get bright red. Should I take him back to the vet, or is this normal in whippets?
bco81
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Third eyelide get real red

Postby Gisela » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi! I am not a Whippet expert (yet) as Paco is my first whippet and he is only 7 months old but I have noticed the same thing happens to him sometimes. Looking forward to hearing from others about this too.
Gisela
WW Supporter

Postby SeeMy-Kennel1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:32 pm

Calvin's eyes get red like this when he is really tired. Mary Ann
Mary Ann
SeeMyKennel Miniature Pinschers & Whippets
http://SeeMyKennel.UltimateGTO.com
SeeMy-Kennel1
WW Member

Postby Stickdogs » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:40 pm

For some dogs, it's normal. But when it comes to eyes, always seek your vet's advice. :handgestures-thumbup:

Sophie has the same thing. It started when she was about 6 months old. They got really red. In her case, I was told by my vet it was a possible allergy to either pollen or food. It's common with puppies under a year old, whose immune systems are new and for some dogs over 5 years old. It was Fall, ripe ragweed time around here. :? He told me I could use Benadryl (1 mg per lb.) for 14 days and rinse the eyes with a sterile saline eye wash. She would also get clear, goopy build up in the corners of her eyes in the mornings so I would carefully remove those with a wet Q-tip. (I called them eye-boogers. Sorry for the visual. :oops:)

After 14 days, the goop was gone but the redness was still there. About this same time, she and brother dog, Shane started having intestinal issues. So I changed her food from a chicken based protein to a lamb base protein with less grains. After about two weeks, I finally saw a change but I don't know whether it was from the food or just getting older and the season changing. I betting on the food.

She still gets the occasional red eye when looking up but it's nearly as severe as it was. September is coming. If it does it again, I'll know what is causing it and what to do.

Kristal
Stickdogs
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 33688

Postby oberon » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:50 pm

I woudn't want to put a young dog on any meds for this. The immune system must be given time to develop NATURALLY to deal with allergies.

Only if it becomes itchy and is worrying him, would I consider medicating him. The tea made from camomile flowers is great for soothing eyes. I would feel much happier following the homeopathic route.

Good luck, keep us posted. :handgestures-thumbup:
oberon
WW Member

Postby WhippetWoman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:06 pm

I had a Boxer patient years ago who had this, as well as starting to loose pigment on her muzzle (she was a black masked fawn) and I consulted with our ophthalmologist - he diagnosed her as having a plastic allergy. They had to not only take up all plastic bowls, but also any plastic toys, she could only have rope or fabric toys. Cleared it right up and she was fine for the rest of her life. Could also be other allergies for sure, but I'd get rid of all the plastic in his environment to start with.
Let us know how he's doing.
Connie B
WhippetWoman
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 1338

Postby Niffarious » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:58 pm

My whippet gets this when she's really tired as well. She also gets quite a body flush when she's about to fall asleep. :confusion-shrug:
As does our english pointer actually - we say 'oh, they're pink. Time for bed!' :lol:
Jen, Laika & Flint
Niffarious
WW Member

Postby bco81 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep an eye on it (no pun intended), it seems that it is normal. It doesn't seem to bother him, so for now its OK.thanks again
bco81
WW Member

Postby hazeltacymom » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:17 am

Tacy's also gets like that when she's really tired.
Christina
hazeltacymom
WW Member

Postby klw21079 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Thank you for these posts on here! I have a 5 month old female whos eyes are exactly like this - red in the corners, the rest of the eye is perfect white.. ! She gets mornign eye goops also.. Had her at the vets, and they said she will grow out of it.. I was hoping it was nothing to be concerned about.
klw21079
WW Member

Postby Eirlis » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:04 pm

My now 8 year old whippet has had this since he was a pup. He never grew out of it. My vet thinks he's allergic to something, but we haven't the foggiest idea to what. They don't seem to bother him any at least!
Eirlis
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board