What is your dogs average resting heart rate?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

What is your dogs average resting heart rate?

Postby Rommimum » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:33 am

Yesterday I took Lewis in to get his yearly check up and vaccination.
The vet asked me if he was fairly fit. I replied yes. And she said oh it's just that he has a slow heart rate.
Now even though I class my dogs as fit I do not think they would be anywhere near as fit as a Whippet who does any sort of racing or is in training for any sort of racing.
So this got me thinking about resting heart rates in dogs. Is a lower heart rate a sighthound thing, Whippet thing, or is it a fit dog thing?
Then I got wondering what your guys heart rates may be, especially since many of you do have super fit dogs.
Lewis's RHR is around 40bpm.
What are your dogs RHR?
Rommimum
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 8878

Re: What is your dogs average resting heart rate?

Postby WildAbout_Whippets » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:13 am

My vet always comments on my dogs RHRs. Since my dogs come to work with me it's easy to listen when they are completely relaxed. Zinfy had a 36 bpm! If they are up on the table, they usually range from 50-70 bpm.
WildAbout_Whippets
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 3604

Postby AerynnScarlett » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:47 pm

I don't know the counts, but my mom is a nurse and once she listened to Scarlett's heart when Scarlett was just hanging out on the couch and she was concerned at how low it was. We figured the whips must just have a low resting heartrate, because Scarlett is healthy and no vet has ever commented on it. :)
AerynnScarlett
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5145

Postby Rommimum » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:52 pm

When she looked at me and asked I really thought she was going to say something about a "galloping" heartbeat as I have heard it termed before.
I made a point of noting the dogs RHR and Respiratory rate when they are laying on me or next to me on the lounge just so I had a baseline if I needed to check against it down the track.
It isn't hard to feel for a femoral pulse when they are flaked out and their leg is under your hand!!!!
I have not idea what my Dobes RHR was to compare it to, and Brutus's heart is so bad any HR he had would be far from normal!
Sounds like our hounds are quite laid back then - which of course we all know how good they are at doing relaxed!
Rommimum
WW Member

Postby Charliecheese » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:07 pm

I might have to try and get Sugden's resting heart rate tonight just to see. Last time I took him to the Vet his heart was thumping!
Charlie, Sugden & Ripley
Charliecheese
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 39186

Postby Rommimum » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:20 am

No-one else?????
Rommimum
WW Member

Postby Kirislin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:25 am

I haven't taken mine but I remember one vet commenting on Feathers heart rate once and she almost sounded in awe of it. She said Feather must be really fit. It just seems to give the occasional beat. :lol:
Kirislin
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby Stickdogs » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:29 pm

I just measured Shane's... it was 81 bpm. We've had storms roll through and he's still 'coming down' from them. Sophie was flopped out on the couch, so I took hers... 38 bpm. Yep, she's resting. :)

Kristal
Stickdogs
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 33688

Postby Vestasdaddy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:55 pm

I'll check our charts next time at the vet. I know it's low because every time she checks whipps hearts she gets wide-eyed and calls all the other techs in to hear ours :o
Vestasdaddy
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby Wendy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:07 pm

I just started tracking Nemo's on the vets suggestion. She said I should count his resting heart rate and resps and if it start going up we need to assess his meds for mitral valve disease. Nemo's was 62bpm and 16 resps. Keep in mind he has a pretty severe murmur and moderate mitral valve disease.
Wendy
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 20088

Return to Whippet World Message Board