Prone to upset stomach?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Re: Prone to upset stomach?

Postby patchnmike » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:24 am

It might be as simple as too much stomach acid building up over night. Some dogs have a problem with this .In the morning there is so much bile (or whatever the stomach produces) and so the tummy rumbles and they often throw up a yellow liquid. They never want to eat when this happens. One thing you might try is a snack before bed so the tummy is not so empty in the AM.
Jini
patchnmike
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby Septembergirl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:14 am

I agree with Jini that it just might be the build-up of stomach acid during the night.

My late whippet Madison would also wake up occasionally with a churning stomach. (We used to call it the "tummy rumbles.") The vet suggested that we give her half (5mg) of an original-strength Pepcid AC 10mg tablet each night before she went to bed. (We'd wrap the half tablet in a little bit of American cheese and she gobbled it up without a problem.) Later on, when I had difficulty finding the original-strength Pepcid AC, the vet said I could switch to generic famotidine, just to make sure that the dosage remained at 5mg.

Madison's stomach acid apparently would build up during the night, and the nighttime dose of Pepcid helped solve the problem. I know exactly what you're talking about with your whippet. Before we started the Pepcid AC regimen, Madison would often wake with a rumbling tummy, refuse to eat anything, and then perk up around lunchtime.

I'm not sure if it was related, or not, to her churning stomach problem, but after years of bouts of diarrhea, Madison was finally diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease when she was eight. She lived to be 13.

Our new whippet Ember (11 months old) does not appear to have stomach issues -- knock on wood. :)
Fran, Ember, and Forest
Septembergirl
WW Supporter

Postby WhippetScraps1 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:32 am

I have a bitch who has the same issue... She gets 1/2 a 75mg Zantac twice a day (total of 75mg a day) every day, she hasn't had any problems in months :bow-blue:

Wendy
WhippetScraps1
WW Supporter

Postby Rommimum » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:13 am

Rommi rarely if ever gets a stomach upset and I don't recall ant tummy rumbles. Lewis gets an upset tummy if he has too much fat, but on dry food and some cooked he is fine, don't think he has had tummy rumbles either??
Rommimum
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 8878

Postby MarciaInNM » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:46 am

How many times per day do you feed?

If it's just once, you may want to split that into two meals, one morning and one evening, and a treat before bed.
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby Rommimum » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:53 am

Good point, mine get "fed" once per day in the evening, but have a good sized dried roo flap, tendon or something else in the morning. Not to mention treats for training.
Rommimum
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 8878

Postby Charliecheese » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:45 am

Sugden gets this very regulalry but it is usually followed by about of colitis and it usually stems back to either me being an idiot and giving him something abnormal to eat or he's picked something up outside and eaten it when I'm not looking.

I'm finding that I have to be very rigid with his diet or else it'll trigger the belly rumbles and numerous trips outside to fill up on grass. It is sometimes so loud that he gets shocked by the noises coming from his own belly, sad but quite funny at the same time. I find massaging his belly seems to sooth it slightly.

I'm still learning but he will never get table scraps again.

He currently has a treat for his breakfast, either a dried tripe stick or a Dentastick of sorts and he then gets a bowl of wet food mid morning and another bowl early evening.
Charlie, Sugden & Ripley
Charliecheese
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 39186

Postby Rando » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi,

I feel this is a bit of a long shot since this thread is from so long ago but having read the initial comment, I literally could have written this! I have a 3 year old female whippet and since from around January of this year she has suffered with the exact same problem, a grumbling tummy on a morning and she won't eat anything until at least lunchtime (an odd time it has been later on in the day). The longest she can go between episodes of a grumbling tummy is a week but I would say on average they are twice a week. I have never heard a grumbling tummy as loud! Apart from this she seems herself, we believe there are no other symptoms. However, her skin pigmentation on her tummy has changed and she does suffer from pattern hair loss on the front of her neck and her tummy (it will grow and then she will lose it again). We haven't thought too much about these, but are now starting to wonder whether it could be linked.

We feel so helpless when she has her grumbling tummy and we feel like we have tried everything. We have kept food diaries, cut things out and changed what she is having, tried feeding her more regularly and before she goes to bed on a night so she doesn't have an empty tummy (as it is always on a morning when it starts), also we don't feed her close to exercise. We have been to the vets and tried Zantac but this hasn't had an impact and we have also had blood tests and an ultra sound. It has also been suggested that we try a Hills diet. If she continues to suffer with this then there are further tests that have been suggested but we feel so desperate for answers and quite helpless at the moment and wondered if there is anyone who could offer any further advice/could share their own experiences of this problem.

Thank you!
Rando
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board