Dropped Toe Treatment?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Dropped Toe Treatment?

Postby BrigitteGreen » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:17 pm

Can anyone offer any suggestions on treating a dropped toe? This isn't the normal kind of dropped toe from a running injury. Daisy's paws are growing progressively flatter from her wobbly gate.

For those who aren't aware, she had a stroke -- or fibrocartilaginous embolism to the spine -- five years ago -- and she wobbles around rather than trots. The toe problem is from the way she drags the back paw.

Dr. Henderson, our vet, thinks putting a boot on her would only make things worse in the long run. We're trying some immune boosters and other dietary supplements, as well as massage. It's a middle toe, not one on the end, so it's not as if we could splint it.

Has anyone had success in getting the toe back to it's normal elasticity and appearance? Any suggestions? Thank you.
BrigitteGreen
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Dropped Toe Treatment?

Postby indogolfing » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:46 pm

I know when it's due to injury to the flexor tendon, nothing is usually done- it tends not to bother them for running. Sometimes walking on pea gravel can strengthen toes, but not sure in an old timer or if it's due to some degree of paresis if there's anything that can be done to help it. Probably the best bet is the massage and nutritional supplements.
sorry, not much help!
indogolfing
WW Member

Postby Gracedog01 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:13 am

Mason has 3 dropped rear toes (all middle toes) from when he was on immunosuppresive doses of pred 2 years ago which caused his ligaments to weaken. They have never bothered him but they look awful (and painful even though they aren't) as the dropped toes are MUCH longer than the others. I used to always worry that he would injure one of them when he makes quick turns at high speed running around since they stick out so far but he never has (knocking wood).

I keep him on a joint support supplement year round (glucosamine/chondrointin/msm), give 2-3 1000mg caps of fish body oil a day, 400iu Vitamin E eod and also give The Wholistic Pet Canine Complete daily as well.

This photo was taken when he just had two dropped toes in November 08. The third dropped toe was a middle toe on the other rear toe. The toes do have some shape to them when he first gets up from laying down, but they flatten out quickly once he starts walking on them. He had wonderful, solid, tight feet before the toes dropped :(
dropped toes.jpg
(53.69 KiB) Downloaded 600 times
Gracedog01
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 5218

Postby BrigitteGreen » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:12 pm

Thanks, Lisa. That's exactly what's happened with Daisy. She's been on low-dose prednisolone on and off for the last five years since the stroke. And that's exactly what's happening with her paws. I feel just awful about it. :crying-green: She is also on joint and immuno support supplements.

I guess I was looking for reassurance that I'm doing all I can for her and wanted to see if there was anything else out there. I adore her and it hurts my heart to see her wobbling around on that dropped toe. Thank you.
BrigitteGreen
WW Manager

Postby Gracedog01 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:31 am

I'd definitely say you are doing all you can for Daisy at this point. There just isn't really anything you can do with dropped toes :(

I have noticed that Mason's outer toes have flattened just a bit on the foot that has the two dropped toes. I imagine trying to support the foot with just the toe outer toes puts a strain on them and has caused the ligaments to weaken some over time. I'm hoping his foot doesn't completely break down, but who knows what will happen in a few years.

Sorry you are going through this with Daisy. It is heartwrenching to see them breaking down from a med that is only intended to help them :(
Gracedog01
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 5218

Postby EmilNorenaDigby » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:49 pm

No advice from me but I know you're a super mom, Brigitte so Daisy is a lucky girl. :) I'm sure immune boosters, supplements, and massages are the right things.

Big smooches to the Daisy darling,
Norena & Emil & Digby
EmilNorenaDigby
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board