How to make whippet coats

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

How to make whippet coats

Postby Rallygirlklf » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Hello everyone! :D
We will be getting our first whippet puppy in a week and I am trying to make some coats/sweaters for him. He will be 10 weeks old when we get him. I did knit a size small sweater from a pattern, It turned out really well but think it might be too big in the begining, as it fits on the big side my friends 14# jack russel. I really would like to make a more blanket style fleece coat, but I know whippets have a distinct body shape and was having a hard time finding any good patterns online, any suggestions??? :confusion-scratchheadblue: As I live in MN a coat will be a must for our little guy!
thanks for the help!
Rallygirlklf
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: How to make whippet coats

Postby Wendy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:34 pm

It sounds goofy, but I made a pattern for a coat by taping some paper up on the wall, holding my dog against it and tracing his outline. Then I made the pattern from his outline and it came out perfect.

It's Supplex outside and fleece inside with a fleece turtleneck, bound on the edges with bias tape.
Wendy
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 20088

Postby patchnmike » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi ....here is what I am thinking. Since he is so young, you can find coats that will fit him at this age in the various pet stores for not much money. Then as he grows to be a whippet in size and shape I'd be glad to send you a paper copy of the pattern that I copied from another person's whippet coat. If you are used to sewing, and it sounds like you are, it should be easy to use. You can see a picture of the coat here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9323
Just a thought.
Jini
patchnmike
WW Supporter

Postby PS woody » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:42 pm

I make all my whippets coats and have basically made my pattern by measuring my dogs and then cutting a pattern I could try on them and tweak as needed. The biggest difference between a whippet coat pattern and another dog is the narrow width of their chest in relationship to the length of their back. The slight curve and the fact their tail is built to hang down means you can close up the back either the whole way or a little.
So if you can get the person who has your pup to measure from the base of the neck to where the tail starts on the back you will know how long to make it. (I would add an inch to the measurement for seams and a little growth. Then ask them to measure the chest. Now to make the pattern fold a piece of fabric in half - you will want the coat to hang about 8 inches along the sides. The fold will run along the back. At one end you will cut a slight angle (a bit rounded ) to fit around the top of the neck and then com straight out to make fold over flaps. These flap should be about as long as the pup is wide in the chest. Now measure the back length and you will cut the tail end and the bottom edge. Again cut a slight curve - like you where cutting a circle that is 8 inches long. This will cover the rear end, Then for the bottom edge of the coat cut an S shape with the curve in the rear being more rounded and the front end being slightly straighter and longer. When you get to where the tabs are cut straight across. On my puppy coats I put Velcro on them so I can make the chest wider as the puppy grows. I also don't sew the back end closed so as they grow their rear will stick out a bit. I also just use a simple belt with velcro to around the waist - making it a bit long so it can be adjusted as well.

When they get older and bigger I sew the flaps closed in the front and attach a triangular chest piece that fits between their two legs and then attach the belt piece to that. I also tend to put a bit more of a dart in the rear so the rear end slopes and a dart at their flank so the coat comes in a bit more around the upper part of the rear leg. I also tend to sew the two rear end pieces down like the picture of the coats that others have noted.

Anyway I am not sure this description of how to construct the coat makes sense, but hope it helps. Here are a few pictures of my puppy and adult coats. Happy sewing and hope we see pics when you get your pup.
Attachments
IMG_20101108_071622.jpg
This is a coat I made this fall. You can see hos the back two pieces are sewn togther a ways down so it fits snug over the rear.
IMG_20110115_151010.jpg
This a sport coat I made a couple of years ago. You can see how it has more pronounced darts which are easiest to put in after trying the coat on the dog.
IMG_20110115_150929.jpg
Here is the triangle piece I use that comes between the legs and covers the chest.
IMG_20110115_145832.jpg
This is Sundae's puppy coat. You can see it is a bit less form fitting and has the velcro in the front.
PS woody
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 871

Postby patchnmike » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:12 pm

Here is a link to a web page that has a pattern for a hound coat and several pictures of coats made for greys and whippets by regular folks.

http://www.duncanspca.com/html/pet%20cl ... 20coat.pdf

and another site:
http://www.thewhippet.net/whippet-dog-coats.html

jini
patchnmike
WW Supporter

Postby Rommimum » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:53 am

I make my own. Started with a basic blanket type coat and tweeked it from there.

I make double polar fleece for general coats and waterproof lined with wool wadding and lined with polarfleece for running outside coats.
Rommimum
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 8878

Postby Whippetmom4 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:19 am

Great ideas!!!! I may try some myself, although I don't use a sewing machine.....may be a fun hand-sewn project, too!!! Thanks. :handgestures-thumbup:
Whippetmom4
WW Supporter

Postby Rommimum » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 am

Polarfleece - not sure if thats what you guys call it as well- does not fray so can be hand sewn with ease :)

You can also have two layers make it bigger then cut into the fabric to make a tassle long enough you can tie it to the other piece of material so then your two pieces become tied together and if using contrasting material can be very effective.

That probably makes no sense!
Rommimum
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 8878

Postby Rallygirlklf » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Wow! Thanks for all the ideas everyone, I'm sure I can come up with something now ;) I am so excited to get him but a little anxious about our cold weather, hopefully he doesn't mind it to much to go out for potty breaks. I've never had a dog without coat before, even my lab has an undercoat so he doesn't get cold. I attached a couple 8 week pics of him.
Attachments
8 weeks 7.jpg
8 weeks 6.jpg
Rallygirlklf
WW Member

Postby Charliecheese » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:16 pm

How cute!!! Hope you get a good coat made so we can see more pictures of him/her modelling said coat!
Charlie, Sugden & Ripley
Charliecheese
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 39186

Postby Septembergirl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:22 pm

What a little cutie!

I hope the week goes by very quickly for you. It must be so hard waiting.
Fran, Ember, and Forest
Septembergirl
WW Supporter

Postby patchnmike » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Oh Lord help you....he will rule your world in no time flat. WHat a doll!!!
Jini
patchnmike
WW Supporter

Postby ClassicHound » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:41 am

What a DOLL! You will have so much fun with that little guy!! :)

I've used sleeves from old sweaters on both puppies and adult doggys. Just measure the back, cut the appropriate length off a sweater sleeve, and open along the seam to to make way for the belly and legs. I keep meaning to put together a tutorial - maybe I should do that. Here's my Dewey wearing a sleeve from one of my husbands old sweaters:

ClassicHound
WW Supporter

Postby avedaa » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:45 am

Oh, he's a cutie! Bet you can't wait! An old sweater sleeve for a puppy coat, that's a good idea.
avedaa
WW Member

Postby Rallygirlklf » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:14 am

Yes, a sleeve is a good idea! I don't think is is going to be very big when we get him, on the smaller side of average. Right now I'm waiting to bring him home and then make something this weekend. It shouldn't take me too long and I have the one sweater I knitted even if it is a little big in the begining. I can always check out good will for those $3.00 large ugly sweaters that sit there for etternity and no one wants :lol: sounds like a good cheap solution for when he is small! Thanks!
And yes... so hard to wait for him, I have been waiting for almost 8 weeks so I suppose I can handle another few days, Will post pics this weekend once we get him home! :)
Rallygirlklf
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board