Whippet on Atlanta Craigslist

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Whippet on Atlanta Craigslist

Postby lassiemel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:42 pm

I just thought I'd post that there is a Whippet on the Atlanta Craigslist. He was posted on Tuesday, and appears to be a 3 year old show whippet. I'm just posting in case the breeder doesn't know. Hopefully the owner is doing due diligence in finding a good home.

Melissa
lassiemel
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Whippet on Atlanta Craigslist

Postby DebsDogs » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:59 pm

I know who that dog is and emailed the breeder to give her a heads up.
DebsDogs
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 3333

Postby piedane » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Hope the breeder can get him back. Pretty dog. This is always my biggest fear when the owners take it upon themselves to rehome a dog without calling the breeder.
Cathy Richmond-Williams
Equiss Whippets
http://www.equisswhippets.com
piedane
WW Member

Postby Romans mom » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:41 pm

There are two listed.

One in (Douglasville) & the other in (Alpharetta).

The one you are referring to is absolutely stunning. Hope he lands in good hands.

Krista
Romans mom
WW Member

Postby Pawpawsmom » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:47 pm

I too saw two on there. First one is a nice looking dog. There other is a sweet boy also looking for a home. This is my biggest fear about breeding.
Pawpawsmom
WW Member

Postby Niffarious » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:51 pm

Yeah, I can see why.
I mean, I understand that life happens - it really does. Sometimes the best thing is to find the dog a new home in certain circumstances. But why not contact the breeder first? Is it a pride issue?
Jen, Laika & Flint
Niffarious
WW Member

Postby PurpleWhippet » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:31 pm

This was just posted on Whippet-L and I asked permission to post it here...

Subject: Reposting of Whippet in Jeopardy E-Mails - A Rescuer's Take

Hi Guys,

Not to pick on Cheryl, but her post brings up several points that I as a rescuer have wanted to share regarding what do do when you see whippets posted to Craigslist, eBay Classifieds, and the subsequent reposting of this info to Whippet-L other public forums. I know that we all love our breed passionately and want to make sure that none of them end up in jeopardy or a bad situation. However, once the full info about a "whip in jep" goes out on the Whippet Boards and Lists, the seller/person posting the original Whippet for Sale info is invariably flooded with lots and lots of e-mails and/or calls from whippet lovers all over the county, who have varying levels of understanding of the situation, and frankly varying levels of tact. Posters get many messages with some sort of variation on the theme of how awful they are to post what they did, that whippets are so special and unique that no one other than WRAP/Whippet Rescue can possibly place them, and shame, shame, shame. The common result of this is a person who feels attacked and is often at this point unwilling to profer much in the way of helpful info or work with Whippet Rescue at all.

My suggestion is to stop for a minute before you forward a posting about a 'whip in jep', complete with contact info, to all of the public forums out there. Take a moment to go to http://www.whippet-rescue.com and look up the nearest rescuer to the dog in question and pass the info on to them, or Google the name of the person to contact in areas that have independent rescues other than WRAP taking on Whippet Rescue duties. If you feel compelled to put the info out on all the whippet lists/boards, please don't
just repost the full info, maybe cut and paste the information that may help a breeder figure out it is their animal being offered for sale, such a location, age, color and sex of the whippet, first name of the person relinquishing the dog, etc.

These are my personal feelings on this, as the head of a regional independent whippet rescue (NCWFA). I am not a member of WRAP, so I do not presume to speak for this fine organization and its volunteers. My feelings are, however, backed up by the feedback I have received from the many people I have dealt with over the last few years who put their whippets on sites like Craigslist and that I then had to talk down off the proverbial ledge after they got tens of the above mentioned types of e-mails from concerned whippet folks. I know we all want to do the right thing for our breed, but sometimes what we think of as the right thing makes the situation significantly more difficult for our whippet rescue organizations.

Sincerely,
Guin Borstel
NCWFA Whippet Rescue Team Coordinator
--
Guinevere Borstel
The Milescross Whippets
NCWFA Whippet Rescue Team Coordinator
PurpleWhippet
WW Member

Postby Romans mom » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Would anyone on this board be willing to act as full representative to forward these listings on to appropriate people? Someone who could be trusted & would respond to inquiries so that the WRAP folks wouldn't get multiple inquiries too? Maybe that would help. Besides, it's rare that there are tons of whippets at one given time.

I know I've been tangled in such controversy before.

Is there a way to keep a post at the top of the WW message board? One that would say something to the effect of "whippets on Petfinder / Craiglist Info" with instructions of how to do things the correct way without a bunch of confusion. Messages could only be made via PM too.

Just a thought.

Krista
Romans mom
WW Member

Postby lassiemel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:16 pm

I'll talk to the other managers about putting a 'sticky' up with Guin's advice.

Melissa
lassiemel
WW Manager

Postby piedane » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:02 am

I think the point of this listing and many others is to inform the breeders. Not all rescue contact all breeders so I really like that people make others aware of Whippets being listed on other sites. Plus if there is a breeder out there that is willing to take the dog back then that just leaves rescue to deal with the unwanteds.
Cathy Richmond-Williams
Equiss Whippets
http://www.equisswhippets.com
piedane
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board