Whippets on Craigs List, eBay, etc..,

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Whippets on Craigs List, eBay, etc..,

Postby BrigitteGreen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:05 pm

The Whippet World Management Team believes this is some very helpful guidance when considering posts about Whippets listed on such sites. And Guin Borstel, NCWFA Whippet Rescue Team Coordinator, was kind enough to expand on her comments for us:

The rehoming of whippet through Craigslist, eBay Classified, Facebook and other commerce websites and social media seems to unfortunately be here to stay. As whippet lovers, we all want to do the right thing when we see a member of our beloved breed up for adoption or sale on one of these sites. Our first impulse is often to immediately post the complete ad to every whippet list and board we can think of, because of course, the dog is in jeopardy, it will end up going to a horrible home, and does the breeder know about this? This first impulse is often followed up by another desire, which is to e-mail or call the poster, informing them that it is really bad to try and place a whippet through this venue, don't they know they should contact the breeder, and only WRAP or other whippet rescue groups are equipped and talanted enought to place this animal, so turn him over immediately to them. However, speaking as a whippet rescuer, these things, which we are all only doing out the best of intentions, our love for our breed, often upset the people who are trying to place their dog, making them wary, angry and virtually impossible to reach out to when actual whippet rescue comes calling.

So, what should you do when you see that sad little whippet being rehomed on Craigslist? First of all, stop and calm down. As horrified as you may be that someone would do such a thing, these situations are rarely true crises, and realistically there can be days and weeks for the situation to be resolved, not minutes and hours. As tempting as it may be, resist the urge to repost the entire posting to the whippet e-lists and boards, as the original rehomer will surely then be inundated with helpful and not-so-helpful notes from whippet fanciers all over the country, one or more of which will surely make them feel attacked.

1. Go to http://www.whippet-rescue.com and look up the name and e-mail address of the rescuer closest to the situation and send them the posting, asking them if they are aware of the situation. For areas without a WRAP rep, Google "whippet rescue" and the area, and you may well come up with a local independent whippet rescue group that would apprecaite having the posting forwarded to them. All rescuers are now all too familiar with whippets on Craigslist and other websites and all of them have good protocols for contacting the poster and attempting to work with them to do what is best for the whippet. Trust me on this! Give the rescuer time to get back to you with an update, as often these things move along slower than we all wish them to.

2. Do not write the rehomer yourself, as I can guarantee, if you saw the posting, 50 other whippet people, some not all that tactful have seen it as well. If you must write them, be kind and tactful, and offer only truly helpful information. Notes that consist of the phrases "you must" or "how awful" or " only whippet rescue is qualified to place this dog" will surely make the poster feel that whippet people are snobby, mean, and will make any subsequent interactions with whippet rescue very difficult.

3. If you must repost the information to the whippet lists and boards, please take a moment to cut and paste out the information that will be most useful for identifying the whippet to its breeder, such as general location, age, sex, color, name, and maybe first name of of the rehomer. Please do not include any contact information,as this will surely lead to the situation outlined in #2, above. The best type of posting in this situation reads something like "if you bred a male brindle parti, who is three years old, and sold it to someone in Podunk, CA". please contact me". This gets the info out there, but keeps the indentifying details off a public forum.

Following the the rules above will certainly help whippet rescuers attempt to assist whippets in need on Craigslist and other commerce sites. We are all want to do the right thing for our beloved breed, and by taking a minute and forwarding the offending posting to the appropriate WRAP rep, the proper outcome, of a happy, properly rehomed whipet, is much more likley to occur.

Guin Borstel
NCWFA Whippet Rescue Team Coordinator
BrigitteGreen
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Whippets on Craigs List, eBay, etc..,

Postby HopTuit Whippets » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:41 pm

I usually contact Lori Rose to see if she is aware of the dog, and send pics to other local whippet folks to see if anyone recognizes the dog in question. The system works well.
HopTuit Whippets
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 45257

Postby artemiswhip8s » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:58 pm

This is great information! Thanks for sharing....

Striving for Versatility
http://www.artemiswhippets.com
http://www.artemis1.etsy.com WhippetSchnoods (Snoods)
artemiswhip8s
WW Member

Postby ww5776 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Great info to put out there...I have followed this protical in the past, and it works wonderful. I have been lucky contacting the the breeder of the dog, or nearest responsible whippet breeder....but, there has been times that wasn't true, sadly. So, thats when rescue makes the situation a better place for the dog, until a forever home comes for the dog.
ww5776
WW Member

Postby emptyfield » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:35 am

Sorry, this is probably a hugely beginners question but I will ask anyway because if you don't ask you don't learn.... Just trying to work out why its bad to sell a Whippet through these mediums? Is it just Whippets or dogs altogether?? Is the concern that they might be stolen or that Whippets need particular types of owners?
***The little guy in my avatar is Angus, we are hoping he will be coming to live with us in less than 3 weeks unless his breeder decides he can be a show dog. Angus is apparently quite tall so there is a good chance he will be ours***
emptyfield
WW Member

Postby silverdog71 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi There!

Ask this question to 5 people and I think you will get 5 different answers - There are many opinions on selling dogs/puppies on ebay/craigslist/in newspapers etc but I believe the point of this particular thread is ---- At time a person will buy their puppy from a good breeder and sign all agreements required... then in time they decide that this dog is not for them.... instead of contacting the breeder (almost every contract has a clause regarding this), they take it upon themselves to try to sell the dog themselves.... sometimes to the first person who shows up on their doorstep with money in hand. I am in no way saying that EVERYONE does this or that a person who sells a dog in this manner NEVER screens the person interested. I'm simply saying that it is a fear many have. The breeder might never know that one of their dogs changed hands multiple times and of course then there's the chance that breeding can take place.... Many people see these ads and feel the need to contact the person directly - to offer guidence, help, a lecture, etc - you catch my drift. ;) So the managers here (many who are actually members of WRAP - the national whippet rescue org) thought that posting this guideline was a very wise idea. WRAP tries to do a good job of keeping an eye on the "online market" (including petfinder) and even though a person might be earnestly trying to help a dog/owner in need - they might be interrupting a conversation already in progress.

Hope that all makes sense!
silverdog71
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 3883

Postby chelynnah » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:18 pm

Good summary Terri :) :handgestures-thumbup:

Wendy (who knows I've probably spelled your name wrong whichever way I correct it to LOL)
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby silverdog71 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:50 pm

Thanks Wendy :)

(yes you spelled the "name with a million spellings" correctly)

~Terri
silverdog71
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 3883

Postby emptyfield » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:55 am

silverdog71 wrote:Hi There!

Ask this question to 5 people and I think you will get 5 different answers - There are many opinions on selling dogs/puppies on ebay/craigslist/in newspapers etc but I believe the point of this particular thread is ---- At time a person will buy their puppy from a good breeder and sign all agreements required... then in time they decide that this dog is not for them.... instead of contacting the breeder (almost every contract has a clause regarding this), they take it upon themselves to try to sell the dog themselves.... sometimes to the first person who shows up on their doorstep with money in hand. I am in no way saying that EVERYONE does this or that a person who sells a dog in this manner NEVER screens the person interested. I'm simply saying that it is a fear many have. The breeder might never know that one of their dogs changed hands multiple times and of course then there's the chance that breeding can take place.... Many people see these ads and feel the need to contact the person directly - to offer guidence, help, a lecture, etc - you catch my drift. ;) So the managers here (many who are actually members of WRAP - the national whippet rescue org) thought that posting this guideline was a very wise idea. WRAP tries to do a good job of keeping an eye on the "online market" (including petfinder) and even though a person might be earnestly trying to help a dog/owner in need - they might be interrupting a conversation already in progress.

Hope that all makes sense!

Yes that makes total sense, thanks for taking the time to explain! Seems there are so many people out there looking after the beautiful Whippets of the world it is really heartwarming to see :)
***The little guy in my avatar is Angus, we are hoping he will be coming to live with us in less than 3 weeks unless his breeder decides he can be a show dog. Angus is apparently quite tall so there is a good chance he will be ours***
emptyfield
WW Member

Postby girl-person » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:08 am

Really useful info, thanks!

This is morbid, but I've been thinking about ensuring our families know to contact the local whippet group to rehome our girl if anything happens to the husband and me. I doubt any of our family/friends could take her, though they would definitely want to make sure she had a good home.

After all, we have wills to say where our possessions go, and she is obviously far more important!
girl-person
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:24 pm

girl-person wrote:Really useful info, thanks!

This is morbid, but I've been thinking about ensuring our families know to contact the local whippet group to rehome our girl if anything happens to the husband and me. I doubt any of our family/friends could take her, though they would definitely want to make sure she had a good home.

After all, we have wills to say where our possessions go, and she is obviously far more important!

Not morbid at all. In fact it is in our will who is to be in charge of finding homes for our girls. I think it's extremely important that not only do our extended families or friends know our wishes, but that they are in writing. You never know what will happen.

Wendy
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:39 pm

It's not a easy thing to think about but I shows that you care about you dogs you should feel proud that you are making sure that all the needs are taken care of should the unspeakable happen well done
Richard
WW Member

Postby WHIPPETSAREROYAL » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:26 am

How could anyone one do that to these perfect,lovable,kind,soft,great dogs? These dogs are so great!
WHIPPETSAREROYAL
WW Member

Postby DavidAdams » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:17 pm

BrigitteGreen wrote:The Whippet World Management Team believes this is some very helpful guidance when considering posts about Whippets listed on such sites. And Guin Borstel, NCWFA Whippet Rescue Team Coordinator, was kind enough to expand on her comments for us:

The rehoming of whippet through Craigslist, eBay Classified, Facebook and other commerce websites and social media seems to unfortunately be here to stay. As whippet lovers, we all want to do the right thing when we see a member of our beloved breed up for adoption or sale on one of these sites. Our first impulse is often to immediately post the complete ad to every whippet list and board we can think of, because of course, the dog is in jeopardy, it will end up going to a horrible home, and does the breeder know about this? This first impulse is often followed up by another desire, which is to e-mail or call the poster, informing them that it is really bad to try and place a whippet through this venue, don't they know they should contact the breeder, and only WRAP or other whippet rescue groups are equipped and talanted enought to place this animal, so turn him over immediately to them. However, speaking as a whippet rescuer, these things, which we are all only doing out the best of intentions, our love for our breed, often upset the people who are trying to place their dog, making them wary, angry and virtually impossible to reach out to when actual whippet rescue comes calling.

So, what should you do when you see that sad little whippet being rehomed on Craigslist? First of all, stop and calm down. As horrified as you may be that someone would do such a thing, these situations are rarely true crises, and realistically there can be days and weeks for the situation to be resolved, not minutes and hours. As tempting as it may be, resist the urge to repost the entire posting to the whippet e-lists and boards, as the original rehomer will surely then be inundated with helpful and not-so-helpful notes from whippet fanciers all over the country, one or more of which will surely make them feel attacked.

1. Go to http://www.whippet-rescue.com and look up the name and e-mail address of the rescuer closest to the situation and send them the posting, asking them if they are aware of the situation. For areas without a WRAP rep, Google "whippet rescue" and the area, and you may well come up with a local independent whippet rescue group that would apprecaite having the posting forwarded to them. All rescuers are now all too familiar with whippets on Craigslist and other websites and all of them have good protocols for contacting the poster and attempting to work with them to do what is best for the whippet. Trust me on this! Give the rescuer time to get back to you with an update, as often these things move along slower than we all wish them to.

2. Do not write the rehomer yourself, as I can guarantee, if you saw the posting, 50 other whippet people, some not all that tactful have seen it as well. If you must write them, be kind and tactful, and offer only truly helpful information. Notes that consist of the phrases "you must" or "how awful" or " only whippet rescue is qualified to place this dog" will surely make the poster feel that whippet people are snobby, mean, and will make any subsequent interactions with whippet rescue very difficult.

3. If you must repost the information to the whippet lists and boards, please take a moment to cut and paste out the information that will be most useful for identifying the whippet to its breeder, such as general location, age, sex, color, name, and maybe first name of of the rehomer. Please do not include any contact information,as this will surely lead to the situation outlined in #2, above. The best type of posting in this situation reads something like "if you bred a male brindle parti, who is three years old, and sold it to someone in Podunk, CA". please contact me". This gets the info out there, but keeps the indentifying details off a public forum.

Following the the rules above will certainly help whippet rescuers attempt to assist whippets in need on Craigslist and other commerce sites. We are all want to do the right thing for our beloved breed, and by taking a minute and forwarding the offending posting to the appropriate WRAP rep, the proper outcome, of a happy, properly rehomed whipet, is much more likley to occur.

Guin Borstel
NCWFA Whippet Rescue Team Coordinator

I more often than not contact Lori Rose to check whether she knows about the pooch, and send pics to other neighborhood whippet people to check whether anybody perceives the canine being referred to.
DavidAdams
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board