Re missing photo files and help pages

Re missing photo files and help pages

Postby chelynnah » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:43 pm

Unfortunately last month Photobucket decided to withdraw free photo hosting (in spite of the fact that was its whole premise for being created), and without notice all photos stored there started showing the Photobucket placeholder. They want $400 a year subscription fee in order to be able to use their third party hosting

Unfortunately all of the Whippet World photo files used in the instruction and help pages and in the Memory Garrden and literally everywhere throughout the site are stored on Photobucket. They are all still there, they are just blocking the links. All of my own posts have my photos linked from there. I'm devastated as all the history of Chelsea and Savannah are wrecked.

I have to be honest and say that we don't have the money (and the amount they're asking is ridiculous anyway) to pay for the hosting, and to find a new hosting site and rebuild all those years of posts... it would take literally months and I just don't know if it's something I can do.

So basically I'm apologising up front for the mess that the board looks like because of this decision by Photobucket :(
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Re: Re missing photo files and help pages

Postby OregonLuca » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:48 pm

Hi Wendy,
Sorry you have to deal with this hassle!
I know very little about photo hosting sites, but heard of Cubeupload. Might that work? It's in the UK and free.
Heather & Luca & Juno
OregonLuca
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Re missing photo files and help pages

Postby chelynnah » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:04 pm

OregonLuca wrote:Hi Wendy,
Sorry you have to deal with this hassle!
I know very little about photo hosting sites, but heard of Cubeupload. Might that work? It's in the UK and free.

Thanks, I think going with an unpaid one we would potentially end up with the same issues down the road. I'm going to personally move everything of my own over to a Smugmug account on their minimum paid account, and will probably try to move the WW stuff there too. The hassle is having to relink absolutely everything from the past 10 or so years. Finding the missing files and matching them. It's just a logistical nightmare :(
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Return to Whippet World Memory Garden