If Your Dog Doesn't Like Puppies

If Your Dog Doesn't Like Puppies

Postby chelynnah » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:03 pm

From: Marcia_in_NM (Original Message) Sent: 23/09/2004 01:27
I was looking for this article a few weeks ago, when more than one person metnioned thattheir dog doesn't like puppies. It's a good article:

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

Marcia

Thank you Marcia for the link to that good article.
Julia

Marcia,
I really enjoyed that article.

I was wondering if anyone has advice on sort of a similar note. I have 3 dogs and just introduced a 4th puppy (all whippets). The oldest has always been a tolerant dog but has become a supreme grouch in the past year (he just turned 5). I have taken him to the vets several times looking for anything b/c this also corresponded to him becoming MUCH slower on the race track (he was never fast but his performance really dropped off). So far, nothing has been diagnosed.

Darby is also a supreme grouch around the puppy. He used to be very good with puppies, but not with this one. I am tolerant of his snapping at Gabi when she jumps right up on his couch space. With time (she has been with us for 3 weeks), he is becoming a little more tolerant, and I caught him playing with her the other day.

The behavior that bothers me is when she is running -- even when running away from him, he will often chase her down and roll her. He did the same thing with my 3rd dog (Reilly, aka Beanhead who entered the household before Darby became a grouch) and now, Reilly rarely does a full out run if Darby is in the backyard. I try to avoid having the two out together (meaning Darby plus Reilly or Darby plus Gabi), but was wondering if anyone has suggestions on curtailing this behavior toward a puppy in an older dog?

Gabi is a trooper -- she's fearless and when he rolls her, she tends to get up and keep going. Reilly was always an omega so would stop in his tracks and cower.

I try to understand pack dynamics and allow them to create their order. This is just one of those behaviors that I don't want my pack leader to be invoking. He may consider a whippet running rude beahvior, but I think that is their purpose

Does he do it to any of the other dogs or just the pup? This may be what Patience calls 'Puppy Bowling' and is the adult dog's way of putting the pup in it's place.

Hopefully Patience will pick up this thread and tell you a bit more about it.

Wendy

Puppy Bowling!!!
This is a very important part of future household harmony! It teaches pup to be aware of its surroundings when it's running, which is most important, and it teaches pup that older dog is boss, and it's a better idea to follow the leader than lead the pack at this age. It looks GRUESOME, and it is one reason that puppies and adults should not have unsupervised play time.
Here is the hard part. It has been my experience that to admonish the older dog for puppy bowling is a big mistake and can lead to territorial problems later. The puppy needs to learn the lessons provided in being bowled, and the adult must be allowed to teach the puppy manners and respect of its elders. When the puppy learns to submit, the bowling stops. This does not, again in my experience, adversely effect the puppy's future racing/lure coursing talents, but rather leaves a confident courser/racer who is well aware of his or her surroundings.(Vickie could probably contribute more here.)
It has been my experience that the older dogs must be GRUMPS to new puppies, when the puppies are little, so that later the house can be harmonious. It's much easier for the older dog to teach a puppy manners and respect and be done with it, than to have territorial battles for the rest of the new one's life.
Gracious and Caruso each PIERCED every new pup ONCE. New pup goes wandering happily up to old grump, gets a warning growl and ignores it because it doesn't take the growl seriously, gets a hole placed promptly in its nose or lip, SCREAMS bloody murder, and respects Gracious and Caruso for the rest of its life. No territorial battles, no fights, peace and harmony and piles of curled up best friend whippets!
I didn't allow Gracious (first Whippet) to puppy bowl Caruso (second whippet) and yelled at her for trying. I'll never forget the day that Caruso grew up and outweighed Gracious, and crashed into her while playing and sent her tumbling ass over tincups. She stood up and turned around and looked at me like, "See, Idiot Human? Did you SEE that? If I had been allowed to teach him some respect when he was little... but NOOOO. You had to butt in, and now we can't play." And she never did again.
Good luck with your new puppy (and where are those photos and details, by the way )
all the best-
Patience

This is so interesting!! My 14 year old did this with my now 10year old. He peed on the rug when we first got him and she grabbed him by the nose and held him down for it. I was HORRIFIED. He never went in the house again, but he also had a hole put in his nose. It all makes sense now. It wasn't true aggression but pack behavior. She still keeps him in his place and she still rules the roost. There are never any punctures though

Thanks for this site, it has explained ALOT for me!

I just realised this is the same thing Haley did with Pebbles...
When Pebbles was being a pest Haley would tell her to back off..
Pebbles learned Haley was Boss..
So it works with Dogs and kittens too......
Deb

>I have taken him to the vets several times looking for anything b/c this also corresponded to him becoming MUCH slower on the race track

You probably already did this, but have you checked for tick-borne diseases? Lots of Greyhounds grade off because of them, which is why I recommend to anyone I know getting an ex-racer to have them tested. Sounds suspicious to me...

I'd also take him to a canine chiropractor. A little fall, an odd jump, a hard corner, and he could have a big subluxation that is causing him back/neck pain and stiffness or be affecting just about anything - organs, limbs, etc. And it won't correct itself, just become worse with time and use, so better safe than sorry, IMO.

Hope that helps,

Kristen

Patience,
Thanks so much for your take on puppy bowling....that's what it looks like on a good day.

Because Reilly has had many "issues", I worry that it is something that I did in raising him. To be honest, he is a weird little dog, that has never truly understood dog speak. Perhaps, that is why he had such an adverse reaction to puppy bowling.

Gabi is of different stock. When she rolls, she picks herself up and keeps on going.

Gabi is of racing parents. She just hit 13 weeks, and already seems to understand that "bunnies" are for chasing (although she is very uncertain about that cat who came over the fence last night -- btw, STUPID cat). I do understand that next month, she may look at a bunny and go "what????"

The whippet gods have already gotten me on this one. I laughed when the boys in the litter were going over the baby gate at her dam's house.....I was taking the sweet girl that knew to stay on her side of the gate, right? Kablamo -- the whippet gods revenge: ---we returned to Texas and she scaled the 4 foot ex-pen. They do have tops for those things, right?

thankyou very much for explaining puppy bowling. I thought Jet was just an old grump with the younger dogs down on the beach. Yet so dominated by my very old and very small foxie at home. Its all just pack behaviour that I need a degree on I think

Roo does not like puppies either, mostly male puppies. Even male Whippet puppies! It is a primal action, survival of the fittest - so to speak.
chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Return to Behavior Issues