Does your whippet favor a certain owner?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Does your whippet favor a certain owner?

Postby nic_skev » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi everyone,

Does your whippet tend to favor one owner over another? Walter (the whippet) favors Paul over me and won't walk with me on his own and also cries and won't settle at night if Paul is not there. This is becoming an issue as Paul needs to be away sometimes but then means I don't get any sleep when he does as Walter will not settle at all.

Paul does work from home so Walter sees and spends more time with him but Paul is upstairs in his office and Walter is downstairs in the living room and Paul only goes in a couple of times a day to check on him. I try not to take is personal but it does feel like Walter doesn't want to be with me sometimes!

Thanks
Nic
nic_skev
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Does your whippet favor a certain owner?

Postby GibsonOwner » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:53 pm

My last whippet was like that. My wife was offended when he paced the floor with her home and I was out. Not good enough company? She was the food source and I was for play or rides. She ruled at dinnertime. Our greyhound was sick and she bonded with Pam from nursing her along. We were even.
Over many years we had 2 whippets and they tend to favor one person. We never had both favor one of us so all was good. Our recent whippet loss was the best companion I ever had. He would look for me forever if something happened to me. I was just as attached to him. We start over with whippet number 6 now with Gibson. Hope he mellows out soon....what 2 1/2 years? That photo with a room full of stuffing wow. (thanks for sharing)
Lenny
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby nic_skev » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi Lenny, thanks for that and it seems to be a whippet trait then that they favor one owner over the other. I try not to get offended but it does feel like I'm not good enough for him sometimes. I'm the one who feeds him to and Paul is the one who plays and gives him more attention.

So was that photo I saw of the stuffing everywhere your whippets then?

Cheers
Nic
nic_skev
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:44 pm

No another member. We have a greyhound with our 15 week old.
Lenny
Attachments
IMG_0379.jpg
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby nic_skev » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Wow cuteness overload there!!! :romance-inlove:
nic_skev
WW Member

Postby nic_skev » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:55 pm

This is walter whippet
Attachments
b7e3f909-61e7-47d1-9944-dc58452afd24 (1).jpg
nic_skev
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Good looking whippet. Walter has similar marking to Minka before she went gray. We may have a real gray greyhound. She is 13 doing well.

The look on her face is please take this puppy back. She is so good with him. They are not playing but good to have any dog with the pup when new.
Lenny
Ok gave me an excuse to post another pic. Gibson is almost 4 mo's look at those legs.
Attachments
IMG_0584.jpg
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby nic_skev » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Wow 13's a good age and looks like she's growing old gracefully! We're unsure whether to get another whippet or not as Walter can get anxious when we leave him on this own and scratching the door and things like that!

Yeah any excuse to post a pic and Gibson is gorgeous!! Walter does stretch out like that but this is his favorite position! :D

Nic
Attachments
IMG_2720.jpg
nic_skev
WW Member

Postby GrandmaB » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:23 pm

As adolescents, each of my two kids had a whippet of their own, and those dogs adored those kids and tolerated me. When my daughter went off to college, her girl transferred her loyalty to me - UNTIL my daughter walked through the door. Then I became persona non grata again...without so much of a backward tail wag.
GrandmaB
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:15 pm

Thanks Nic,
This pose is a puppy stretch he will probably out grow. Think he is relaxed in our home? Almost named him Riley he has it made here.
GrandmaB that had to hurt your feelings.
Lenny
Attachments
IMG_0528.jpg
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby nic_skev » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:20 am

I'd say he is very relaxed!! :D Ha ha and yes that name would fit Walter as well!
nic_skev
WW Member

Postby Popsicle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:22 pm

Yes absolutely, Poppy is loves me 100 times more than she loves my husband. I am with her all day, everyday. I feed her, walk her and sleep on the floor with her when she is poorly. My husband plays with her and occasionally sneaks her food she shouldn't eat, he is convinced that should buy her love. It doesn't, these Whippets cannot be bought!
GibsonOwner, your Whippet is the same colour as mine, Brindle & white, those pink squashy paws melt my heart.
Popsicle
WW Member

Postby solosmom » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Absolutely. Even though my husband and I are both home with the two pups, Indy and Enzo definitely prefer me. We both walk, feed and play with them but when it comes time to settle in for the evening, they both come to lie down with me. Indy will sometimes go over to sit with my husband but just for a short while. Enzo cries and paces the house when I am out but my husband is home. This upsets my husband no end but there is nothing to be done about it. Its just the way it is.
solosmom
WW Member

Postby GrandmaB » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:14 am

Gibson owner, Lenny
Didn't hurt my feelings at all; I've been around whippets all may adult life, so found it actually endearing. Though I must admit, I did make a seriously funny uproar about it! As you would suspect,the dog and kids had my number, and it became a family joke.
GrandmaB
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:35 am

Also worth noting that their favourite person can change as they age. A few of ours have changed their loyalties as they got older. And, like with kids, they can have their favourite person for play and roughhousing, and their other favourite person when they’re unwell or want snuggles.
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Return to Whippet World Message Board