Advice for picky eater?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Advice for picky eater?

Postby DextyMorgan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:15 pm

Thank you in advance for any helpful info!
My whippet has always been petite and very slender (20 pounds- he was kept in a crate with 2 other dogs for the 1st 6 months of his life before I rescued him, this probably stunted his growth)
He’s always been a picky eater and we were giving him Candiae salmon for years and years and tons of treats and he ate well. He just turned 12 and suddenly refused to eat. He lost 1 pound and definitely looks visibility thinner. The vet said he’s healthy except for low liver levels and he is on a supplement for that now. After trying new foods to see what he liked, we settled on raw venison (which is super expensive). He loved it for weeks with no problem, but then sometimes he would refuse to eat, especially in the morning. Sometimes he tries to eat his brother’s food, which is the Salmon food he refused to eat months ago. I give him that if he wants, I offer him 3, 4 meals a day, sometimes he’ll only want 1. I hardly ever give him treats now to encourage him to eat meals. He’s so picky and I don’t understand. Some days he’ll eat a ton and then other days he acts not hungry. I offered him rice with fish to try to bulk him up and he wanted no part of that.
So what I’m asking is: How can I get him to eat regularly? How can I get him to eat more? He barely eats enough to maintain his weight, but I want him to GAIN weight. He’s active and we go hiking about once a week.
I’ve tried everything I could think of for months and his appetite is so inconsistent. I just want to help him and I’ll do anything!
DextyMorgan
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Advice for picky eater?

Postby PAWhippets » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:53 am

For a dog of that age, I would be asking the vet about medication to stimulate appetite. There are a couple that seem to work well. You could also ask about adding some things to his food that might appeal and add calories, such as cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, ground beef, pasta, baby food meats, etc. (a small amount at first of foods he hasn't had before, to see how he tolerates them). Also maybe try pastes such as Nutrical or Nutristat - high calorie and most dogs find them palatable. Good luck!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Return to Whippet World Message Board